First attempt at a "cider"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Both the parents and in laws have apple trees that just end up with grass covered with apples, so I thought I would use these as a try to make something.

Question is, I will be getting these pretty much as they fall off, so there will be several times that I am juicing. Would it be possible to juice (using a Juice man juicer) every weekend, getting about a gallon or so at a time, storing that in the fridge, until there is enough to go ahead with the whole thing in a carbouy, say in a month.

If this is your first time, IMHO you would be better off fermenting a gallon at a time with different yeasts until you find one that works the best for your juice

Can I add a question in here, cos I'm in a similar situation to lurker18: When are the fallers going to be usable? Is it a case that if they fall off the tree then they can be juiced or do they need to sweeter, later in the year??

From what I've been reading (in Michael Phillips' "The Apple Grower"), early on in the season, you should thin the fruit. That will ultimately give you a better yeild and less early falls. Some varieties need to be thinned quite extensively apparently (I have no practice, this is just what I'm reading).

I guess your options are
1 - mill and press what falls now
2 - don't use windfalls
3 - thin the trees (although its almost a little late for that now)
4 - store what falls now in a cool dry place. Wait to mill/press all of the apples at harvest.

If I've read somewhere that 16lbs should produce around a gallon (UK or US?) then it's probably only worth pressing the fallers now if there are 16lbs of 'em?

I get a little over 3 gallons of juice per one bushel of apples using a commercial press

Back