First Altbier - Recipe/water profile feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesM63

Reaction score
I've recently had a hankering for a Dunkel, but I don't have a good place to ferment at that temperature. I was turned onto a Altbier, and after much research here is where I settled. I'll likely still lager for 4-6 weeks in my fridge.

Any input, specifically on the water profile? I think the recipe is pretty solid (maybe not authentic). I was torn on the amount of yeast to pitch, some say to make a big starter since it's more lager like. I have 2 packs to pitch, if necessary.

Boil Size: 7.40 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.41 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.08 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.55 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 16.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
7lbs Best Pilsen Malt (BestMalz)
3lbs Best Munich Dark (BestMalz)
1.5lbs Caramunich III (Weyermann)
2oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann)
6oz Sour Malt (Meussdoerffer)

1.5oz GR Perle @ 90min
0.25oz GR Perle @ 20min
0.25oz GR Perle @ 5min

Ferment with WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt Yeast. (Ambient is 60F, so ~65F)

Mash Schedule:
Protein Rest 122F for 20min
Sacc Rest 150F for 60min
Mash Out 168F for 10min.

Water Profile:
Based on Dusseldorf Water Reports found online (not in Bru'n Water)

Target:
Calcium: 90
Magnesium: 12
Sodium: 45
Sulfate: 82
Chloride: 65
Bicarbonate: 223

Actual (Base is Meijer Spring Water):
Calcium: 90
Magnesium: 26
Sodium: 39
Sulfate: 100
Chloride: 83
Bicarbonate: 260

Shooting for a PH of 5.44

Overall I'd say you're fine. The water looks good as is. If you want some picks here they are:

I'd back off a bit on the crystal malt, maybe cut it back to .75 lb and add that missing .75 lb to the base malt. If you want to compensate for any missing color add a touch more Carafa.

For a two stage mash, I'd move the starting point from 122F up about +10F. Perle hops are good and I do like them but I'd go with a noble type for the later additions. :mug:

Overall I'd say you're fine. The water looks good as is. If you want some picks here they are:

I'd back off a bit on the crystal malt, maybe cut it back to .75 lb and add that missing .75 lb to the base malt. If you want to compensate for any missing color add a touch more Carafa.

For a two stage mash, I'd move the starting point from 122F up about +10F. Perle hops are good and I do like them but I'd go with a noble type for the later additions. :mug:

Thanks for the response :mug:

I ran out of time and went with my original post. I'm sparging now, i'll report back on how it goes.

I also decided only to pitch one yeast pack, i'll save the other for another attempt.

Just as an update.

OG 1.052 as expected
Pitched 1pack WLP036 at 58F (damn CFC was doing work)

Basement temp rose to 63F ambient.

I just did the research for an article to be published in Zymurgy for Cologne water. That city's water is dominated by crossflow from the Rhine River. Dusseldorf is downstream of Cologne and their water can be expected to be similar. The values shown in the OP seem similar to the Cologne values.

Yes, the water there is hard and it does have a bit of sulfate in it. That sulfate level should enhance the drying finish in an Alt.

One of the Dusseldorf Altstadt breweries, Fuchshen, actually add sulfate to their mash too. Passedpawn visited and he has videos of the brewery and a brewer pointing out the "gypsum".

Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad I wasn't too far off. It's happily bubbling away right now.

I think i'll be sticking to RO water for future uses. The spring water was considerably more expensive ($9.30 vs $3.40 for 10g) and 1 of 4 jugs had a slight plastic off flavor. (Luckily, it was the last jug that I used the least amount out of and I couldn't detect it in the wort)

Back