First All Grain tonight!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericbme

Reaction score
Well, I'm 30 minutes into my mash and for starters I didn't hit my mash temp @ dough-in should be 152...mine was 148. No worries right? Also, my main question is how long do I batch sparge for. Add sparge water stir and let sit for 20min then vorlauf?

The point of the sparge is to rinse out sugars. The mash should have done all the conversion so you don't need to wait long for the sparge. The big factor is stirring to extract all the good stuff you can. Letting it sit for a bit can get a little more of the sugar that is inside the particles of grain but longer sparges won't help much.

Thanks you guys! I'm about to begin the sparge... Any concerns about missing my mash temp? All I'm losing is efficiency right?

The temp will be ok. Adding a little hot water would have been good, but it will be ok. I go for 150 when I want a dry beer. I have always been told to go at least 75 minute in the low temps, but most of it is in the first 30 minutes. It will be fine. Post back if you hit your OG. I am in year 3 and still love to learn what a little change or "missed temp" does.

OG was 1.051/1.052...recipe was Edworts haus pale ale. I guess I got lucky this time. Took some good notes, next time will be most rockin'!

Because of a thermometer that I hadn't calibrated at mashing temperature, I mashed a couple at 148. My efficiency stayed the same but the FG was real low, instead of 1.014 to 1.016, mine finished at 1.002. Yours may end up with a low FG too.

Because of a thermometer that I hadn't calibrated at mashing temperature, I mashed a couple at 148. My efficiency stayed the same but the FG was real low, instead of 1.014 to 1.016, mine finished at 1.002. Yours may end up with a low FG too.

This. Probably gonna be a very DRY Pale Ale, but you may prefer it that way :) In general, lower mash temp = lower FG.

Back