First All-Grain Lithuanian Dortmunder Help Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-hemmie

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've got a number of extract brews under my belt and they have all turned out very well. I think it's time I give all-grain a go. Part of the stipulations of me starting to homebrew is that I have to come up with a clone recipe of Svyturys Ekstra for SWMBO. This is where I really need help. Searching the internet I've come up with this:
Type: Dortmunder
ABV: ~5.2%
SRM: 5
IBU: 27
Ingredients: malt, rice, hops, yeast
Description: "Svyturys Ekstra from Lithuania (Utena) brewed since 1784, a light, golden crystal clear beer with a dazzlingly white frothy head. Light lemony aromas combine with clean, yet bitter flavours to create a refreshing result. The purity of this ale stems from the quality of ingredients, absence of additives (preservatives), selection of bitter aromatic hops, blended with unique barley malts, yeast, and rice. "

Taking a look at some other Dortmunder recipes, here is where I thought I would start:
5.5 lbs English 2-row pale malt (3.0 SRM)
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.4 SRM)
.5 lb Carapils (1.3 SRM)
.5 lb White Wheat Malt (2.8 SRM)
.25 lb Rice Syrup Solids (7.0 SRM)
1 oz Hallertauer 60 minutes
1 oz Saaz 40 minutes
Whirlfloc Tablet 15 minutes
Yeast Nutrient 10 minutes
SafLager S-23

Does this look like it would get me in the right ballpark?

Thanks for the help! :mug:

View attachment Lietuvos Ekstra.bsmx

As long as English 2 Row isn't Marris Otter, that's probably okay. You might want to think of German or Belgain Pils.

Hallertau and Saaz probably won't get you lemony flavors. Strisselspalt has some lemony flavor. Dana (if you can find it without a special order) looks like it has lemon & pine flavor.

All grain shouldn't need yeast nutrient. But it won't hurt anything.

I like to use Danish Lager in my Dorts. I don't know anything about S-23.

I would suggest a German pilsner malt for your base malt. That would get you cleaner and sweater flavors. Personally I would skip the wheat and just go with a whole pound of cara-pils. They both will add body to the beer and the cara-pils will help keep the clarity of the product.

If dry yeast is all you can get a hold of then the s-23 would be fine. But if you have access to liquid I would go with a traditional german lager yeast like wlp800 or wlp830. Any "noble" hop should be fine, as that beer should not be too hoppy on the nose anyway. Just remember it is a very german inspired beer.

ps: props on brewing a Lithuanian beer! my forefather would be proud.

Back