First all grain IPA recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecobb

Reaction score
10 lbs two row pale
3 lbs maris otter
Mashed at 152 for 60 minutes

60 minute boil

60- 1 oz Amarillo
30- 1 oz Cascade
10- 1 oz Amarillo
5- 1oz Cascade
Flameout &Whirlpool for 15 minutes
1oz Amarillo
1oz Cascade
Dryhop - 5 days before bottling
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Cascade

OG should be right around 1.068 with 70% efficiency
S05 fermenting at 64f

Any suggestions?

I just bottled an ipa a few days ago. I used 8bs of maris and 2lbs of wheat 2lbs of 2 row, 150g of carapils 150 acidulated malt. I really like the color of the finished product, its a dark red :))). I used 20 oz of hops and it tastes great, dont be afraid to add more hops, just remember you will lose beer to trub. I would suggest a FWH addition and drop your hop additions down to 15 min -- flameout\whirlpool. There really is no need for a 60\30 min addition. Use wyeast 1332, that's a fun one!!!!

I think it looks good. I don't know the exact AA of the hops your will be using, but if I calculate your Cascade at 9% and your Amarillo at 10%, you're coming in just shy of 60IBU's with your current hop addition profile. It isn't necessary, but for my taste, I might add a tiny bit of Crystal to round out some of the bitterness...but again, just my $0.02. I say go with it as is and adjust as needed for the next time you brew it.

I just bottled an ipa a few days ago. I used 8bs of maris and 2lbs of wheat 2lbs of 2 row, 150g of carapils 150 acidulated malt. I really like the color of the finished product, its a dark red :))). I used 20 oz of hops and it tastes great, dont be afraid to add more hops, just remember you will lose beer to trub. I would suggest a FWH addition and drop your hop additions down to 15 min -- flameout\whirlpool. There really is no need for a 60\30 min addition. Use wyeast 1332, that's a fun one!!!!

I'll definitely be looking into fwh thanks! And 20 oz of hops in a 5 gal batch? I like hops but that seems a bit too much.

I think it looks good. I don't know the exact AA of the hops your will be using, but if I calculate your Cascade at 9% and your Amarillo at 10%, you're coming in just shy of 60IBU's with your current hop addition profile. It isn't necessary, but for my taste, I might add a tiny bit of Crystal to round out some of the bitterness...but again, just my $0.02. I say go with it as is and adjust as needed for the next time you brew it.

The cascade was low at 5.4% and amarillo was 8.5%. So ibus will be a little bit less and I've never been a fan of crystal malt it just adds an odd sweetness that I don't really like.

I'll definitely be looking into fwh thanks! And 20 oz of hops in a 5 gal batch? I like hops but that seems a bit too much.

Those grain amounts he listed are certainly for a 5gal batch, unless he made like a session-session IPA. Im guessing most of the 20oz went in post-boil. If you do it right, its not very bitter at all. This guy is talking my kinda hopping

Well I just tried my batch and its darn tasty!!!!. I used eldorado, mosaic and Amarillo. 20oz of hops was just enough. I made a beer that is way tastier than I can buy from the store, success!!!

Don't waste Amarillo at 60', save it for the whirlpool, and simply bitter with Magnum or Warrior.

I'd move all other hops to 10' and one hour of whirlpool/hopstand. Use 2 hopstand additions, one between 200 and 190F and the second at 170F.

Back