First all grain/IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonwb88

Reaction score
I just started brewing all grain, and decided to work out an IPA Recipe. Let me know what you guys think about it. Using a Mangrove Jack's Brewing Company U.S. West Coast Yeast (M44). Also I am not sure whether I should go with a 90 or 60 minute boil.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.90 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.10 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.08 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.63 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 5.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.9 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.2 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.5 %
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 41.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 17.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 10.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Recipe looks good to me. I don't see a need to boil 90 min unless you want the extra sparge water. It seems like you have your losses set pretty high though, an 8.9 gal boil seems like a lot for 5.5 gal finished. Have you brewed on that system yet?

I have a wide 80 quart pot that I did a 30 minute test boil on. It looked like I lost a half gallon or so. Also, I wasn't sure how much space the dry hops/gunk were going to take up in the carboy.

Good recipe. I would stick with a 90 minute boil while adding your bittering hops at 60 minutes. It will help with depth of malt flavor given that your chosen grist was rather subtle... which is a good thing for this style of beer.

Also, I wouldn't be mad if you used 3 oz. total dryhops and got rid of Citra completely. The focus will be piney citrus without it.

Figure about a half gallon loss to hops and trub plus 1 gallon per hour for your boil off and you're at a 7 gallon boil per 5.5 gallon batch. As long as you don't have any trub in the fermenter losses there will be negligible.

Recipe looks good if you like a hoppy, dry IPA, although personally I find simcoe is like kitty litter (my mates all loved the only brew I did with it though). I agree that your boil off looks too high - I boil with 2x2.5Kw elements in a keggle and get about 1.5gal/hr loss. My boil is on the verge of boilover the whole time. With your low estimated efficiency, your gravity might be high, but with that recipe, a higher or lower gravity should still give good beer. 90min boil never hurts and isn't much effort, but you won't need it for this one.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will update my recipe accordingly. So do you think I should take the Citra out and make my 0 minute additions for dry hopping?

Whirlpool additions do not replace dryhop additions. Do both.

Citra is sort of out of place in this recipe.

Any of the other late hops you chose for this beer will do just fine. No need to overcomplicate things; divvy them up.

Amarillo is also a great option.

You're using Citra as a dry hop. I don't think it's out of place. You're giving an aroma that's different than your flavor which can be odd but Citra pairs with centennial well, in my opinion, so I don't think there's a problem here.

I would use some Citra late in the boil. I like it with centennial, gets a nice pineapple flavor.

I have a wide 80 quart pot that I did a 30 minute test boil on. It looked like I lost a half gallon or so. Also, I wasn't sure how much space the dry hops/gunk were going to take up in the carboy.

I did a dry hop on a Hop Stoopid Clone on my last brew. I lost almost 1/2 gallon on my dry hops. But I put in 1/2# of hops. FYI

Thanks guys. I think I'll do my oz citra with the full ounce of centennial or at 5 minutes.

One of the most popular Australian craft beers (Four Pines pale) uses Simcoe, Citra, Cascade and Amarillo together. Warrior is only there for bitterness. You could get rid of either Cascade or Centennial but I think it'll be good anyway.

I think the summary is that hop combos are a lot personal preference: simcoe = nirvana vs. simcoe = kitty litter, lose the citra/keep the citra. The beauty of homebrewing is you can experiment and find your own favorites.
Brew on!

Back