first all grain... at leat my carpet smells nice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WholeHoppness

Reaction score
I did alot of research before I took this journey into all grain. Figured out temps, mash times, I even double batch sparged. Everything was perfect.. till the clean up. I had all of the wet grains in the cooler on the back porch and I didn't want to throw them in the yard because I'd probably get a bird frenzy with a nice poop mess all over the place from them. I put the grains in a bucket with a hande and carried them to the garage through the house. Well, the handle gave out, of course, I still have a nice sticky wet grain mess all over the living room carpet. Is everybody's first all grain this much fun? :cross:

I feel for you. Had the exact same thing happen to me. I thought garbage bag would hold grains. Verdict: not so much.

Current method garbage bag in bucket. Grains in bag. Bag sealed. Then carry out to dumpster.

I've done all of the above. Steam cleaning seemed to get it out of mine - but I wouldn't know because the carpet was so dark. As long as it wasn't sticky anymore, and the bugs weren't coming in I figured it worked.

Did the same thing on my deck one time. Not nearly as bad as a carpet but it still sucked. Have fun!!!!

Back