First AG Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adhomebrew10

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed my first all grain batch, an Irish Red. I spent a good 2 months planning the recipe and working though how I would make it all work.

The day went WAY better than I expected it would (it just took 9 hours due to lack of experience). I was shooting for a mash temperature of 154 but got just a little high. I put the lid on the mash tun at 155 and after an hour it was 154. So I assume I lost a degree or less during the hour.

When I went to sparge I was shooting for 170 and only got up to 162. The problem was that I thought I would fit more water in my 5G tun than I could and so my water was not hot enough for the lowered volume (plus my grains cooled more than I thought, down to about 140). I anticipated that may be the case, however, and had a plan to do a "hybrid" sparge by pouring the rest over the grain bed once I started sparging.

I was shooting for 65% efficiency and ended up with 71! My gravity was expected to be 1.052 and I ended up at 1.057 (Also, boiloff rate was higher than expected - First brew since moving to Florida).

All that said, I like AG WAY more than extract. I am very pleased with how everything turned out. Its in the fermentor and bubbling away (nottingham yeast @ 62 degrees). I am already thinking about what to brew next!

Yep, I'm glad I started AG too. I have 3 brews under my belt as AG after many a extract brew. It's alot more satisfying doing AG and knowing its more your hard work going into it then someone elses (pouring a pre-malted can of extract).

Back