First AG Attempt - Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbobo05

Reaction score
Hi,

I just completed my first AG session and screwed up quite a bit. I completely overshot my sparge volume (using [brew362 calculator](Mash and Sparge Water Calculator ::: Brew365 - Homebrewing Recipes and Articles) ). As a result my OG ended up quite low. Is there a way to raise the gravity AFTER I have already pitched yeast?

I am guessing I can add a boiled DME solution to raise the gravity and using the Brewzor Android app's Gravity Correction it says I need to add 38.18 oz of DME to raise the gravity from 1.032 to 1.052. Does that sound about right? It seems like a lot to me.

Thank's for the link. After calculating with that app it gives me the same result - I need to add ~38 oz of DME.

What would be the best way to add the DME? Is there any sort of ratio of water / DME I should target in order to not create a liquid that is substantially higher than my wort and thus not mix well? Also, should I stir the resulting DME product into the fermenting wort or do I have to worry about oxygenation?

Thanks again!

you don't have to worry too much about it being a higher gravity because the fermentation process will get it mixed in and uniform in solution.

Just give it a quick boil to sanitize, chill it in a water bath, and then assuming its not really vigorously fermenting yet, just pour it in to primary. i'd try to minimize splashing, but again if its not really fermenting yet the yeast *should* consume any oxygen as they replicate before fermenation really kicks off.

Thanks!

What if my fermentation were almost complete? I only ask because the LHBS was closed yesterday and I didn't notice any bubbles this morning. The krausen looks like it has already fallen as well.

Back