First AG 5 gallon porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoobDood

Reaction score
I have done 2 all grain 1 gallon batches that turned out pretty tasty (didn't have a hydrometer then) now I just did my first 5 gal BIAB following this recipe.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=342327
I did add a bit more hops for personal preference at the last 30 mins of the boil. Also had a mishap and spilled a small amount of wort.
My OG came out to be 1.038 instead of the 1.058 the recipe states.
Is the spill the cause for this? Or in the sparging? I even hand pressed the grains a bit in a strainer over a bucket to get out all I could. It's in the fermenter and in gonna finish it to see what that's like.
Is this gonna be a light porter? Low ABV? All of the above? I'll know in a few weeks but wanted some advice from the pros before I start my next one in a few weeks.

Mathematically speaking, it will definitely be lower in ABV than you intended. What temperature did you mash at? 154 like the recipe states? I don't know at which point you spilled the wort, but I'm guessing early on to end up with such a low ABV? It's always a good idea to have DME on hand in case of any emergency OG adjustments.

Don't dwell too much on the past, just focus on what you can control from here on out. Nail that fermentation, don't oxidize it too much before you drink it, and let us know how it turns out!

Yes at 154. I splashed the wort at the end of the mash when I was pulling the bag out so I lost the good stuff. I'd say definitely less then a quart. Probably more like a pint.

Another thought I was having is I ended up with 4 gallons of wort or so and I added water to the fermenter to make up my 5gal. Since SG is a measurement of concentration would it have been wise of me to take a SG reading before I added water and it would have been higher? Then just ferment the 4 gal. Id have slightly less but would end up with a more quality finished product?

At what point would I add the dme? Does have a good shelf life? Does one type work for fattening up all types of beer? I honestly have never done extract brewing.

Another thought I had is I took my reading with like 72 degree wort instead of 68 like my hydrometer is calibrated for. I realize that won't make up the .020 lost but is my reading slightly off because of that? Would it be lower or higher at the true testing temp?

Back