First 10 gallon batch, Scorched! :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm

Reaction score
So over the course of a few weeks i have been gathering some equipment to go all grain. But with some extract sitting around i thought it would be a good chance to get used to the new kettles and the larger system, so i went and brewed up a 10 gallon extract batch.

As i was brewing i thought everything was going well, although I was having some difficulties getting a good stir on due to the dip tube. But, I really didn't think that it was that much of an interference, but i guess the combination of it and a bigger burner lead to me scorching the extract :(

Hopefully it won't impart too much off flavors or be too sweet. but only time will tell.

5 gallons of it was dumped onto a Strong Belgian Ale yeast cake, the other got 2 packets of us05.

any particular taste to keep my eye out for?

i had a few scorches in the past and the flavor never left. but yours might not be as intense, it's hard to tell. you'll know the taste if you have it in there.

well good to know it won't be a complete failure.

I guess I need to practice on my stirring technique with the dip tube to prevent it on the next batch. I never scorched on my smaller batches. but then again i don't think i'll have this problem with all grain?

Use a SS paint mixer to mix your extract in, it works like a champ! And ALWAYS, ALWAYS turn your burner OFF or to very LOW when adding extracts!

yup, flame was out.
I think my flaw was adding the extract too quickly, i was on a step ladder trying to dump it in and stir, looking back i realize i rushed this and had trouble stirring as i was pouring the extract in and then probably re-lit the burner before the extract was dissolved.

(it was a new burner for me as well, so i may have kicked it up too high upon the re-light)

you can also dish out a little hot wort into a pot or something, mix in the extract and then pour it back into the kettle.

Head, this was with LME.

Android, thanks thats a great tip. I should have done that to get the last few drops of LME to begin with! First time with a valve, never realized how helpful it is to have one.

On a side note, is there anything proven to work on removing the scorching from the bottom? Keg cleaner is ehh... i imagine steel wool is a no no...

Back