Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
somehow I talked her into it..

Probably a preference question.. but synthetic or wood stock? advantages/disadvantages?

i am leaning towards the wood, i like the weight and the classic look..

Probably a preference question.. but synthetic or wood stock? advantages/disadvantages?

How'd that conversation go? I'd like a gun as well but with a 7 month old in the house she's not so keen on it. I think having a child in the house is more of a reason TO HAVE one to protect my family. as long as proper care and education is taken of course.

shooting guns that i dont care about looks on, i.e. hunting guns, synthetic.

shooting guns that i care about the looks on and wont hunt with. Wood, dark full grain like French Oak to name one.

How'd that conversation go? I'd like a gun as well but with a 7 month old in the house she's not so keen on it. I think having a child in the house is more of a reason TO HAVE one to protect my family. as long as proper care and education is taken of course.

exactly..

she just said she didn't want to see it or even know it was there... I told her all the safety measures that i am going to take with it.. and told her why I wanted it..

also, i let her know the gun I want is almost the exact same as the one i shot in boyscout camp when I was 12 .. i think I can handle it.. lol

I forgot to put my 6 year old's gun in with the rest of mine. She has a little pink .22 Cricket rifle. She is a pretty good shot with it too. I feel bad for the first boy that breaks her heart.

Looks like we'll be adding another couple handguns to the collection. My wife told me she wants to get her permit to carry so she isnt illegal if she hops in my truck when I have handguns in there. She also wants to get a handgun that is "hers" that she can shoot.

I shot a buddy's Kimber 1911 .45 the other day and really liked it. Anyone have a Kimber and thoughts?

I kind of wish my 10/22 was stainless steel and had a synthetic stock, as it bounces around my dirt truck all summer. Regardless it has never failed me, so either way is fine. Just go with what you like. Keep it oiled, clean it every once in awhile and you will be passing it on to your great-grandkids. That reminds me of something I would advise with a new gun. I always tear them downs to the individual pieces when they are new and every couple of years. It is nice to know how they work and allows you to give all the parts a good oiling.

I kind of wish my 10/22 was stainless steel and had a synthetic stock, as it bounces around my dirt truck all summer. Regardless it has never failed me, so either way is fine. Just go with what you like. Keep it oiled, clean it every once in awhile and you will be passing it on to your great-grandkids. That reminds me of something I would advise with a new gun. I always tear them downs to the individual pieces when they are new and every couple of years. It is nice to know how they work and allows you to give all the parts a good oiling.

What's nice about the 10/22 is there are a bunch of aftermarket products for it. You can make it real exotic or strip it down. I regret not buying one when they were $99. :(

Looks like we'll be adding another couple handguns to the collection. My wife told me she wants to get her permit to carry so she isnt illegal if she hops in my truck when I have handguns in there.

I am confused by this statement. I have a carry permit, and carry a 1911 all the time. That does not mean that everyone who rides in a car with me has to have a carry permit as well... A carry permit covers the person with the permit, and ALL handguns they own.

She also wants to get a handgun that is "hers" that she can shoot.

9mm HK P2000

I shot a buddy's Kimber 1911 .45 the other day and really liked it. Anyone have a Kimber and thoughts?

Kimbers are expensive, and are pieces of junk. They will not be reliable, which is HUGE when considering a carry weapon. I carry a 1911, but there are a lot more "user friendly" carry guns out there. However, I'll never carry anything but a 1911.

If I were you, I would look into a Springfield GI, that is what I carry.
mycarryGI.jpg

I am confused by this statement. I have a carry permit, and carry a 1911 all the time. That does not mean that everyone who rides in a car with me has to have a carry permit as well... A carry permit covers the person with the permit, and ALL handguns they own.

I didn't say that everyone in the vehicle has to have one. But if she is driving my truck without me and I have a handgun(s) in there, then she would be covered.

Kimbers are expensive, and are pieces of junk. They will not be reliable, which is HUGE when considering a carry weapon. I carry a 1911, but there are a lot more "user friendly" carry guns out there. However, I'll never carry anything but a 1911.

If I were you, I would look into a Springfield GI, that is what I carry.
]

I think you are the only person on the planet who thinks Kimbers are junk. Expensive sure but junk? WTF?

Well, Kimber thought they could improve upon John Browning's original 1911 design. Various gun companies have been trying to do this ever since 1911, and it has NEVER worked. Kimber is no different.

However, if you want to spend 1200 on a gun that is not a reliable as one a 1911 half the price, then go for it. Better not carry that sucker though.

IMO, if you are going to spend 1200-1500 on a 1911, go with a single stack STI, or do what I did. Buy a Springfield GI, and send it to Cylinder and slide, or buy ther enhanced R and D version, directly from them.

Kimber's may shoot most of the time, but for me that is not nearly good enough.

Just to lend a little credibility to my statement, I am a certified gunsmith, and regularly compete in IPSC, limited 10 division, and have a wide array of 1911s. Just my 2 cents of course. But, I do speak from experience.

fired about 50 birdshot 12. ga shells through my mossberg and already cracked the forearm. other than that it's powerful

Well, Kimber thought they could improve upon John Browning's original 1911 design. Various gun companies have been trying to do this ever since 1911, and it has NEVER worked. Kimber is no different.

I agree that the original, full size, 1911 is the best, but there are thousands and thousands of people, including magazine editors etc... out there that rate the ProCarry and the UltraCarry as the best carry guns available. They allow you to get a .45 in a small concealable package and from all the reviews I have seen, as well as my time shooting them, they are perfectly reliable. YMMV though, the progressive spring (shortened barrel) 1911s tend to vary widely in production, so if you get a crap one off the line then you will go through hell trying to get it working.

However, if you want to spend 1200 on a gun that is not a reliable as one a 1911 half the price, then go for it. Better not carry that sucker though.

IMO, if you are going to spend 1200-1500 on a 1911, go with a single stack STI, or do what I did. Buy a Springfield GI, and send it to Cylinder and slide, or buy ther enhanced R and D version, directly from them.

Kimber's may shoot most of the time, but for me that is not nearly good enough.

Just to lend a little credibility to my statement, I am a certified gunsmith, and regularly compete in IPSC, limited 10 division, and have a wide array of 1911s. Just my 2 cents of course. But, I do speak from experience.

May shoot most of the time? WTF?

You sound like one of those people who say Sigs suck buy a glock

I think they both Suck. Especially glocks. I used to own a Sig Pro and I do not like their triggers.

The only polymer gun I will own is a HK.
USPC40.jpg

I have worked on a lot of faulty Kimbers that's all. The guy asked, and replied with my opinion.

I am just saying the alternatives are much better.

New to the whole brewing hobbie but not to guns. Im almost 20 and have a pretty good collection so far.
DPMS AR-15 16in Bull Barrlel ACOG
Beretta Pintail with both slug and normal barrel
Ruger 10-22
Mosin M-38
Highpoint 9mm
Marlin 30-30
German mad .22 no sure of model
Ruger Security Six Model .357 Mag.
Ruger MarkII
Colt Diamondback Double Action.22 revolver
Ruger Single Action .22
Derringer .32
Colt .45 Blackbowder
CVA .50 Muzzle Loader

Love shooting out at the range do a little of clays but mostly targets. Deff a good stress reliever. And if it doesnt work a nice Beer at the end of the day will normally help.

Nice collection!

I am about to pick up a few new things.

Brugger and Thomet TP9
Rock River LAR 15
LWRC M6A3 6.8
Mossberg 500 "Breacher"
Bushmaster Carbon 15
Chey Tac M200
Dan Wesson CBOB
STI Tactical

Benelli M Series Shotgun. The inertia drive system, 8 round availability, and top of the top construction, the ultimate bird/target/small game/large game gun.

Haha The Highpoint was a random buy at a gun show. I had some extra money from selling some old AK mags I had been walking around with and I saw the highpoint an I had a bunch of 9mm so I figured what the hell. It is ugly as sin but it actually shoots good at 50 yards just another random gun to shoot out at the range.

$1200 Gun

DPMS .308
Why Cuz i love the quality of my AR-15 and I thnk they are a great company that is local to me. Also its a great caliber for hunting in NA which I am hoping to do more of in the coming years. Plus its a fun paper puncher for the time being.

Avid shooter and NRA certified pistol instructor here.

My EDC. Glock 19 with TLR-1 and XS Big Dot sights.

glock19.jpg

If I could find an old black powder 10 gauge side by side in great shape I would give 1200 for it. Or maby an .480 ruger supper redhawk with some good glass and a nice shoulder rig.

Open Question: if you had $1200 to spend on one gun; what would you get and why?

Mossberg .835 Ulti-Mag or Remington .870 SPS-T either one really don't care.

Why ? Because its good for turkey, coons, coyotes and stray dogs and it fills a hole in my arsenal. I've got a few 12 gauge shotguns already but I don't have one in 3.5" magnum and a regular 12 gauge is not quite enough for turkey.

If I had 1200 I would get a 12 ga Browning Citori over/under. I love those guns for skeet.

Beretta over/under with an additional trap barrel. Both field and competition stocks. Looking for a Springfield xd 40 sub-compact. Everything's on back order.

P4090002.jpg

I figured I'd show my ruger 10/22 I picked up the other day..

First firearm ever, and I am having a lot of fun with it...

ruger.jpg

Got a 25 rnd Butler Creek Mag, Red dot scope, installed the barrel band with the sling mount, and the mount on the butt of the gun..

+ enough ammo to take out a city of squirrels.. (about 2500 rounds.. for about 60 bucks.. lol)

great for shooting all those beer bottles i have laying around since kegging..

:mug:I've been a small game hunter since the age of 11, and a deer hunter since 13. First deer Opening Day I missed since I started was because of cramming for the CPA exam two weeks later. I passed. Then got sh!tfaced at deer camp to recover from the exam. :tank:

My newest deer gun is a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag, stainless, 9.5" barrel. :D

Counting a recent inheritance from my Dad (RIP):(, I have a Remington 742 in 30-06; a Remington 7400 in 30-06 (never been fired); Savage model something-or-other in 7mm mag (my $10 gun - it was the prize in a big buck contest I won); a Marlin .22 mag; Para Ordnance P10-45 45ACP; Savage 12 Ga. double; Remington Model 48 Sportsman 16 Ga. autoloader; Western Field .22 auto (my first gun).

My wish list is twice that long. ;)

I figured I'd show my ruger 10/22 I picked up the other day..

First firearm ever, and I am having a lot of fun with it...

ruger.jpg

Got a 25 rnd Butler Creek Mag, Red dot scope, installed the barrel band with the sling mount, and the mount on the butt of the gun..

+ enough ammo to take out a city of squirrels.. (about 2500 rounds.. for about 60 bucks.. lol)

great for shooting all those beer bottles i have laying around since kegging..

wow for $60 thats a great deal, just the ammo would cost that much at Bass Pro Shops or Wal-Mart

I got a new gun a couple weeks ago. Actually its a pellet gun - Crossman Storm XT. Got it home and unpacked and straight out of the box it was shooting dime sized groups at 40 paces, just low so it didn't take much adjustment at all to get it sighted in with the iron sights. Then I put the scope on it and with no adjstments at all it was shooting dime sized groups 1 inch high at 60 paces - what are the odds of that ? I didn't even bother trying to adjust the sights in the scope since I can't shoot any better than that anyhow. I took it to the lake with me last weekend and had no problem plinking floating 2 litre soda bottles at 100 yards.

Its a good gun for me, I'm going to use it this summer to keep the squirells out of my bird feeders and shot the rabbits out of the garden and work on my shooting before deer season. I have a couple of .22s too, and I used to use a .22 shot shell on the squirrels but one of my neighbors complains and she calls the cops - *****! - lol I guess she really didn't like me shooting my 50 cal at the beavers in our pond!

xd45.jpg

I also have a Charter Arms "Mag Pug" .357, and a Browning Hi Power 9mm that belonged to my brother. The wife has a Ruger Mark III .22 and a Charter "Pink Lady" .38.

CCL's for both of us should be here in about a month!

xd45.jpg

I also have a Charter Arms "Mag Pug" .357, and a Browning Hi Power 9mm that belonged to my brother. The wife has a Ruger Mark III .22 and a Charter "Pink Lady" .38.

CCL's for both of us should be here in about a month!

Caliber?

I've got a XD-40 Tactical with an OD frame.

Back