Firearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love my guns and I carry my Glock 20 concealed. I have 15 pistols and 8 rifles and 3 reloading machines. I have a Dillon XL650 which gives me around 500 rounds an hour gota love that.

How do you conceal a Glock 20?? Thing is huge!!

But, a 10 is surely the way to go.

I used to shoot international trap competitively, so I have a good number of 12 gauge over/under shotguns. And a few waterfowl guns. Though, someday I would love to own an old school Lee-Enfield. :)

Here is my Smith and Wesson MP9. First gun I ever purchased, got it for home/self defense. Also got a Mossberg 500 for Christmas and a pistol grip to go on it. I'm not a big hunter but I like to shoot clays and targets when the weather permits. I went deer hunting for the first time this year and didn't see **** in three days. Hopefully I'll be going pheasant hunting in the near future and have a little more luck.

Anyone have or ever fire a Bersa Thunder 380 or know of Bersa reliability? Guy at the store was perhaps recommending for SWMBO since she has a bit of a time chambering my Glock 19. Could be a nice little conceal carry too. and for $250...

thun380lt_sat_mid.jpg

My personal opinion is if you are going to carry, make it worth while. A 380 would not give me any confidence. I would consider a .357 hammerless (shrouded or whatever you want to call it). I think there are a few five rounders on the market, which would make it reasonably comfortable to carry.

Luck

I have almost that exact Bersa pictured (mine is a two tone instead of all silver). A .380 is just as capable as a 9mm with the right round in it. Will it do a single shot incapacitation like my 1911 in 45 ACP? Probably not. Will my wife be able to rack the slide and fire off 4-5 rounds...yup. It is also a hell of a lot easier to conceal than a revolver. I carry it sometimes when I don't want to be burdened with my full size.

I tell you the only drawback to it that I have found. The .380 round is expensive to shoot. If its not going to serve as a recreational gun I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I was hoping to get something cheaper to plink off rounds than my 45.

My personal opinion is if you are going to carry, make it worth while. A 380 would not give me any confidence. I would consider a .357 hammerless (shrouded or whatever you want to call it). I think there are a few five rounders on the market, which would make it reasonably comfortable to carry.
Luck

I don't have my concealed permit yet but I'd more than likely carry my glock 19 depending on the clothing. This gun is more for familiarity for the wife and something she can handle since she's brand new to guns. She has a hard time loading my glock and pulling the slide. After that she's fine with it but it's like putting the worm on the pole for her ;). Plus she likes it cuz its shiny :D.

I tell you the only drawback to it that I have found. The .380 round is expensive to shoot. If its not going to serve as a recreational gun I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I was hoping to get something cheaper to plink off rounds than my 45.

$ for rounds is also why I got the 9mm (1st handgun) since they're pretty inexpensive at Wal-Fart. What's the rounds go for on the 380 (defense and practice rounds) typically?

I can't remember for sure, but its about the same as my 45, so roughly $25 a box of 50 for ball and $25-$35 for 20 personal defense.

Also, I forgot to mention, the Bersa is basically a PPK clone that is supposed to be better built and more reliable than the Walther.

Although I do not have a lot of respect for the 9mm. what I have read states that a 9mm beats the 380 hands down, in all aspects. As it should, the 380 is just a short 9.

Other than the lack of authority, I have two issues with a $250 380:

1. That particular gun is designed to stovepipe. That does not make sense to me.

2. It is a $250 easily concealable gun. It will probably not get shot often, is probably uncomfortable to shoot, and probably is not built to be shot often. So what happens? It goes in the pocket, purse, holster, then on the table, then in the pocket...... inexpensive springs deteriorate with age.....etc.

Disclaimer: I have never shot this gun. Nor have I shot any 380. I have owned, and shot plenty of 22s, 25s, 9s, .357s, 10s, .45s etc. This is what I've read and my opinion.

I can't remember for sure, but its about the same as my 45, so roughly $25 a box of 50 for ball and $25-$35 for 20 personal defense.

Also, I forgot to mention, the Bersa is basically a PPK clone that is supposed to be better built and more reliable than the Walther.

I know it's not for everybody and I don't know what the new POTUS is going to do but it may be worth while getting into reloading? It does keep cost down and you can tailor your load to the task at hand.

I don't have my concealed permit yet but I'd more than likely carry my glock 19 depending on the clothing. This gun is more for familiarity for the wife and something she can handle since she's brand new to guns. She has a hard time loading my glock and pulling the slide. After that she's fine with it but it's like putting the worm on the pole for her ;). Plus she likes it cuz its shiny :D.

I am sorry, I thought it was for your wife to carry. Nevermind.

Luck

Although I do not have a lot of respect for the 9mm. what I have read states that a 9mm beats the 380 hands down, in all aspects. As it should, the 380 is just a short 9.
I agree that 9mm does not have that much stopping power either, but at some point you have to look at what is going to kill the person. If your looking for a single shot instant end to the encounter than 45 ACP is pretty much the smallest round to carry. As far as the difference between 9 and 380 its not enough to be the difference between a mortal wound and an injury on a properly placed shot with the correct ammo (aka, for many bullets 9mm has about the same expansion with a few more inches of penetration 12 vs 16 on federal hydrashock)

I mean, special forces uses .22 in order to stay quiet, so obviously there is more to it then round size.

Other than the lack of authority, I have two issues with a $250 380:

1. That particular gun is designed to stovepipe. That does not make sense to me.

2. It is a $250 easily concealable gun. It will probably not get shot often, is probably uncomfortable to shoot, and probably is not built to be shot often. So what happens? It goes in the pocket, purse, holster, then on the table, then in the pocket...... inexpensive springs deteriorate with age.....etc.

I have put about 3-400 rounds through my Bersa and it has had no ejection problems. It was like every other gun though that it took some time to break in. It is also perfectly comfortable to fire. The magazine extends down in order to keep your hand entirely supported by the weapon, so it isn't like a lot of "pocket pistols" which a day of 25 rounds is all you can get through the gun.

My last comment is that springs deteriorate with use, aka repeated cycling. If you load a weapon, cock it, and leave it sitting there the springs are fine (unless they are stored overly compressed or stretched out) There is TONS of debate on this, but that is what all of the major spring manufacturers state.

Don't get me wrong here, I had a lot of the same concerns you did, but my research into this particular weapon (not just the internet, but talking to gunsmiths) coupled with my own experience of owning one has found that it does exactly what it is supposed to do. It is a gun that is easy to handle, carries a serviceable round, and is reliable enough to depend on.

On the flipside I would NEVER conceal carry a glock, mainly due to their lack of a serviceable safety.

I know it's not for everybody and I don't know what the new POTUS is going to do but it may be worth while getting into reloading? It does keep cost down and you can tailor your load to the task at hand.

That is definitely on my to do list!

IOn the flipside I would NEVER conceal carry a glock, mainly due to their lack of a serviceable safety.

I guess it would depend on the days attire. I bought the blackhawk serpa holster (comes with paddle and belt loop) with trigger guard and with a button down shirt not tucked it seems fine and is comfortable enough. Personally I don't really believe in one chambered while concealed...

botach_2035_84279784

When I wear my 1980's silky shorts I could always carry the bersa :eek:

Personally I don't really believe in one chambered while concealed...
Yeah, you wouldn't have the same issue I have then. I hope I never have to, but in the event that I need to pull my gun and use it then I am going to assume the bad guy already has his gun loaded. I don't want to be racking a slide while he is shooting me. That was my driving force with getting a 1911 as my main carry gun. There is absolutely no way that it is going to go off in my holster or even my smart carry, but in the amount of time it takes me to draw it I have it in a ready to fire state.

After I got my CHL, I took SWMBO to the gun store. She picked out a Lady Smith & Wesson Model 36 with the rose wood grip because it was pretty. :D

That's OK, cause now she has her own and I have my 7. :D

Anyone have or ever fire a Bersa Thunder 380 or know of Bersa reliability? Guy at the store was perhaps recommending for SWMBO since she has a bit of a time chambering my Glock 19. Could be a nice little conceal carry too. and for $250...

thun380lt_sat_mid.jpg

I own two of these weapons, One stays in my wife's possesion at home and the other is my daily carry weapon. There will be a lot of folks who will tell you that .380 is not enough to protect you. I've seen (personally) a big man drop like a rock from a kid wielding a .22

For me, it comes down to reliability, concealment, comfort. If you have the hand cannon jabbing your side every time you get into the car, how much will you honestly carry? Even the glocks are a but bulky for my likes.

The bersa is a fine weapon, I've staked my life on it.

Oh and for the record

what I got:

(2) Bersa .380
P-64 9mm Mak
Rem 7600 .270
JC Higgins Model 20 12Ga.
Marlin Bolt Action .22

What I've trained on:

AT4 Anti Tank Rocket Launcher
60MM Mortar
MK 19 40mm Auto Grenade launcher
M240G 7.26
M2 .50 cal Machine gun
M203 40mm Rifle mounted Grenade launcer
M-16A2E3 (Full Auto)
M9 9mm service pistol
M1911A .45Cal Service Pistol
Mossberg Service 12Ga.

some of the most fun I've ever had shooting:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYGqrGvxV0]YouTube - British Sterling Submachine gun[/ame]

+1 on the Bersa. It's easier to tote than my Kimber 1911. And it eats ammo like a champ. I bought it on a whim. I'd like to get another. If you've got spare time, bersatalk is a great site.

After I got my CHL, I took SWMBO to the gun store. She picked out a Lady Smith & Wesson Model 36 with the rose wood grip because it was pretty. :D

That's OK, cause now she has her own and I have my 7. :D

LOL - kind of like shoes; form before function (although that functions fine!).

As for the Bersa feedback thanks much. I've prowled around enough and read enough reviews that give this gun high marks. I guess some people just want to say they have a Walther PPK or Sig P232 and pay 2x more. I just can't see using this to fire 50-100 rounds every weekend so paying 1/2 the price works for me. Now, if I can find one. These seem to be on backorder too nowadays.

Found a bersa locally on Friday and nabbed it (matte blue version). Just got back from shooting it today; very nice little gun. Easy shooter and nicely accurate. I too recommend.

LOL EvilTOJ

Question for you reloading peeps. What % savings do you get for reloading your own? Without startup equipment of course. May even be able to make ammo for my old Mauser then too (strange round).

full.JPG

Wow, that sounds exactly like a n00b beer making question and I can already here the "that depends" and "you can make them how you want them" answers soon to come :D. Might have to venture into a good gun forum eventually me thinks.

You got two of the parts right :) The biggest factor is the cost of the actual bullet. Your best bet is to find a decent reloading supply place and price the bullets there, the rest of the stuff is a couple cents per shell.

I have a friend that goes to tire shops and collects their old wheel weights. He melts it down, scrapes the gook off and forms led bars that he gives to a local guy to cast into bullets. His cost for a .45 shell is around $0.10 or $0.15

LOL EvilTOJ

Question for you reloading peeps. What % savings do you get for reloading your own? Without startup equipment of course. May even be able to make ammo for my old Mauser then too (strange round).

View attachment 9292

Wow, that sounds exactly like a n00b beer making question and I can already here the "that depends" and "you can make them how you want them" answers soon to come :D. Might have to venture into a good gun forum eventually me thinks.

The more obscure the caliber, the cheaper it is to reload. The one factor becomes getting brass for it. If it's a very popular round such as .223 or 9mm that is also used in the military then it's possible to get real cheap bulk ammo. In that case, reloading is more for making loads that you want to use and the cost can be a bit more or the same but you have a load you like.

Oh and for the record...What I've trained on:

AT4 Anti Tank Rocket Launcher
60MM Mortar
MK 19 40mm Auto Grenade launcher
M240G 7.26
M2 .50 cal Machine gun
M203 40mm Rifle mounted Grenade launcer
M-16A2E3 (Full Auto)
M9 9mm service pistol
M1911A .45Cal Service Pistol
Mossberg Service 12Ga.
John, as a former Small Amrs Repairer/Inspector I have also been trained and conducted training on the same weapons.

Additionally, I am trained on and conducted training on the:
M102 Towed 105mm Howitzer
M114 Towed 155mm Howitzer
M119A1/A2 Towed 105mm Howitzer
M198 Towed 155mm Howitzer
M109 through A6 Paladin 155mm SPH Howitzer (my current job)
M110A2 203mm SHP
Mine Clearing Line Charge (also AVLB mounted)
Volcano Mine Dispenser
Apache and Kiowa Helicopter armanent
Most US Army Chemical Equipment (previous NBC NCO)

I'm retiring in less than 1 year with over 36 years Federal Service...:D:mug:

I've got a Rem 1100 12g with a 30". A ruger 10/22 fairly tricked out, 30-30 marlin and I'm in the process of finishing up the build on my 1911 chambered in 9mm.

It helps that I work for midwayusa.

I've got a Rem 1100 12g with a 30". A ruger 10/22 fairly tricked out, 30-30 marlin and I'm in the process of finishing up the build on my 1911 chambered in 9mm.

It helps that I work for midwayusa.

I HATE YOU!!! :D I order from Midway a lot and have for years. So far I've never been disappointed either. I still use my Midway tumbler (which they don't sell anymore) and I bought it about 20 years ago or so.

I HATE YOU!!! :D I order from Midway a lot and have for years. So far I've never been disappointed either. I still use my Midway tumbler (which they don't sell anymore) and I bought it about 20 years ago or so.

Actually we still do, it's sold as the Frankford Arsenal tumbler.

Grew up a bird hunter in South Dakota.

8 shotguns. My favorite is a 20 gauge Spanish Double, but my ol' stand by is the Benelli SBE II. Thing never fails. Dropped it out of a duck blind last year first thing in the morning. It was sub freezing out and that thing fired all day long.

3 rifles out of necessity for big game. Just bought a 204 for Coyote and varmit hunting.
It is a nice gun. Remington 704 SPS

John, as a former Small Amrs Repairer/Inspector I have also been trained and conducted training on the same weapons.

Additionally, I am trained on and conducted training on the:
M102 Towed 105mm Howitzer
M114 Towed 155mm Howitzer
M119A1/A2 Towed 105mm Howitzer
M198 Towed 155mm Howitzer
M109 through A6 Paladin 155mm SPH Howitzer (my current job)
M110A2 203mm SHP
Mine Clearing Line Charge (also AVLB mounted)
Volcano Mine Dispenser
Apache and Kiowa Helicopter armanent
Most US Army Chemical Equipment (previous NBC NCO)

I'm retiring in less than 1 year with over 36 years Federal Service...:D:mug:

I got to see the Paladins in action near TQ when I was in Iraq... talk about impressive.... I'd like them more if I could watch the impact though.... I do love the MK19 for effect:D

BTW, after listing all the weapons we've trained on... do you feel kind of like a "name dropping post whore"? - makes me feel all warm inside :rockin:

Own 11 myself:

Springfield XD40 (.40)

Custom made 1911 (.45) (Assembled from various parts)

Taurus PT92 (9mm)

Taurus M44 with 8.5" Barrel (44mag)

Ruger Old Army Black Powder Revolver (I'd have to look but .357 I think, haven't bought stuff for it in a looong time)

Knight Black Powder Rife in .50

Ruger No.1 Single shot breech loader (.375 Winchester)

6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

Winchester Model 1894 30-30 Lever Action

Winchester 1200 12 gu

Savage .270

Own 11 myself:

Springfield XD40 (.40)

Custom made 1911 (.45) (Assembled from various parts)

Taurus PT92 (9mm)

Taurus M44 with 8.5" Barrel (44mag)

Ruger Old Army Black Powder Revolver (I'd have to look but .357 I think, haven't bought stuff for it in a looong time)

Knight Black Powder Rife in .50

Ruger No.1 Single shot breech loader (.375 Winchester)

6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

Winchester Model 1894 30-30 Lever Action

Winchester 1200 12 gu

Savage .270

I have one of those Mausers. Great gun. Very accurate.

Back