finishing my cider..pasteurization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
hey guys,
my first batch of cider is coming near an end. just to give you guys an idea, here is what i did

5 gallons of apple juice
2 lbs of sugar
dry white wine yeast (all i had in the house)\Lalvin D47
yeast nutrient
yeast energizer

my original gravity was 1.068
about 10 days later i took another gravity and it read an even 1.000

so i want a sweet cider but i decided to let it ferment bone dry and sweeten from there. So my plan for sweetening was:

2 cups of water
2 cups of brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
5 cans of apple juice concentrate.

I was going to add that mixture to the cider and then bottle.
I am also wondering about pasteurization. So please correct me if i am wrong.I was going to bottle it, and after 3/4 days of carbing, i was going to pasteurize. I am planning on bringing a pot of water to a boil of 190 degrees. Then turn the heat off, submerge a few bottles in there and cover for 10 minutes.

Please let me know if i am on the right track. Again I am looking for a sweet, lightly carbonated cider. Any input is appreciated. Thank you

Sounds close to the caramel apple cider recipe that I've seen on here. All good except one very important part which is the time. 3 to 4 days I guarantee you bottle bombs. I followed the caramel apple cider recipe that called for 2 cups water 2 cups Brown sugar n 2 tsp ground cinnamon. I let it carb for 48 hours and they blew up. I would check after 24 hours. Max 36 hours. When pasterizing ALWAYS make sure your pot has a lid. I've had 2 batches explode.

Booker

You should have some way of checked no your carbonation level. Either a bottle gauge, or fill a plastic soda bottle and check the firmness as it ferments. I will also open a bottle or two to check.
I pasteurize differently. I start with my bottles in the pot with an empty bottle in the middle. I then fill the middle bottle with cold water, and the pan with hot water. I place a thermometer prob in the bottle and wack it on the stove until it reads 140. I then kill the heat and set a timer for 10 min. I then remove the bottles and start over for the next batch.

Back