Finished up my second brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotCline

Reaction score
Just kegged my second brew, a Caribou Slobber. Been in Primary since Dec 6th. Ended up at 4.97%ABV. Tasted pretty darn good for no carbonation yet. I will let it get below 40 and force carb it tomorrow. Quite excited. Moose Drool bottles are in the fridge for comparison. :ban:

Did you put the CS in to secondary? I'm going back and forth with this?

Secondary for a beer that's done in a month is pointless. Unless of course you like sanitizing, syphoning, and risking spills and contamination... RDWHAHB!!

I did not put it in secondary. I had intended to leave it 3 weeks in the primary. A week got lost, and 4 weeks later it was kegged. Force carbing in a few minutes. I will report back with first impressions, as well as how it ages.

Well, I put it at 30 PSI and shook the keg for a while. Left it for an hour and came back. Turned it down to about 8psi. Nothing but head. Tastes really good, just not carbed correctly. So I vented the keg and left it at 12 psi. I will leave it for a week or two and come back to it. On a side note, there was lots of bubbles in the beer line. Is this normal? Compared it to my Moose Drool. Similar, but defiantly not the same. Maybe some aging will bring them closer. Waiting is the hardest part....

Well, I put it at 30 PSI and shook the keg for a while. Left it for an hour and came back. Turned it down to about 8psi. Nothing but head. Tastes really good, just not carbed correctly. So I vented the keg and left it at 12 psi. I will leave it for a week or two and come back to it. On a side note, there was lots of bubbles in the beer line. Is this normal? Compared it to my Moose Drool. Similar, but defiantly not the same. Maybe some aging will bring them closer. Waiting is the hardest part....

Nothing wrong, it just takes longer to carb than an hour even at 30 psi. I've always had good luck with a few days at 15 or so. Patience grasshopper!

I have 5 ft of beer line connected to a picnic tap. What would be a good pressure to set it at when I back it down? Thinking around 7psi. 12 just blows it out way too quickly. I had a 3 oz sample just to test it out tonight.

Play around with it but 7 psi is a reasonable place to start..

Back