Fine taste, but looked infected at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoeBrew

Reaction score
So, I just bottled this beer last night. Took a sample which tasted fine and clean. Beer is a SMaSH of 2-row and wild grown hops from Iowa, With re-used US-05 yeast. Opened up about a week back and took reading, there was no skin on the top of liquid. Reading was 1.010. Before bottling this skin was on it, and it was now at 1.006. Could this be infected or would I taste it at this point. Picture for help.
:mug:

IMG_2391.jpg

Yeah that's an infection but if you're tasting it and it's not bad, it is probably a slow one. I would drink those ASAP, and def be careful for over carbed bottle bombs. I'd give them 10 days to carb, then into the fridge to slow the infection as much as you can, then drinking up. Did you dry hop with any of those wild hops? That could be your vector if you did

Thanks for the reply A2HB! I actually didn't dry hop. I figured I better put them all in the boil to make sure they all got sanitized. Mostly likely, I may have introduced something taking my first reading. I will watch out for bottle bombs, and get them in the fridge after that 10 days

If that's a bucket you are using, clean it good or you will have another infection. Maybe it's best to toss and get a new one.
If you sanitized your equipment before taking a reading i doubt that's where it came from.

Any plastic equipment that you used post-fermentation could be contaminated. I would replace them personally because they’re cheap and easy insurance against another unwanted infection.

Back