Finally finished my hop trellis setup thingiemajig...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Snapped these yesterday after swapping out the single pulley & twine rope I was trying to use to raise and lower the top... between a friend & I, we couldn't get the thing to budge!

So, after reading some & learning about pulley systems... I went with a 4 to 1 ratio, 1 pulling down, 2 double pullies to wrap the pull rope 4 times. So 10lbs of pull can lift (quite easily) 40lbs.

My hops are in the planter with exception of the Golding, after spacing them out I ran out of room for those and put them in the ground just outside, then extended the moving trellis part out over them for the bine twines.

4x4 posts go up about 15-16ft. Cross pieces bolted together with 2 6" PVC collars as guides for the cross piece to guide up and down the 4x4 posts. When fully up, I should get about 14' of growth. After adding the 4 double pullies, I can raise and lower it myself, no need to get help. :mug:

Just waiting for more growth out of the ground them I'm sticking the twine in the ground nice and tight, they are just hanging right now.

hop-trellis1-65598.jpg

hop-trellis2-65599.jpg

Nice...sure beats my hops in a bucket with a string tied to the second floor window post. I have yet to get a decent harvest or growth over 4'.

Back