Finally brewed my first batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubrious

Reaction score
So after building and buying way too many things I finally brewed my first batch. I felt like everything went pretty well other than my floating thermometer breaking in my wort. Luckily the only thing that came out was the little beads in the bottom. The filter stopped all of them from going to the carboy. So I took some pictures and Have to post them lol.

My lil helper for the day...

Final product...

Now just have to wait for the bubbling to start. Only 6 more weeks and then I can drink some, hopefully!

I felt like everything went pretty well other than my floating thermometer breaking in my wort. Luckily the only thing that came out was the little beads in the bottom.

Uhmm. That thermometer, its wasn't a mercury kind was it? Seriously. That is kinda important. Mercury is terribly poisionous. Even if you think you filter mercury out, you didn't. Its in your wort. Please stop now and try again. It isn't worth it.

No the thermometer still worked, as in the mercury tube was still intact. The little weighted beads in the bottom came out because the tip on the bottom broke off while i was stirring the wort while using my immersion chiller. No mercury in my wort. I know better than that. I would have been crying, but would have dumped it immediately!

Could those be made of lead? Personally I would chalk this one up to experience & scrap it, who knows what was in that thing, I wouldn't risk my life. Up to you though, I would use this as a learning tool though.

Well I guess I am just going to risk it...

It was not boiled in the wort. It only fell in while I was checking temps before I transferred to my carboy. Even if it was lead I wouldn't think it would affect wort for 5 minutes of contact at 70 degrees. I would definitely scrap it if I had boiled it in there regardless of what it was.

Just eased my mind a little.

From Midwest's site...
"The floating thermometer is especially convenient for the all-grain brewer. This thermometer will float in the mash, giving the brewer tight control over the mash temperature. You'll get quick and accurate measurements with this unit. It is an alcohol thermometer and the ballast weight is made of steel, so there is no need to worry about toxic materials."

Thanks. Yeah, y'all had me worried so I had to do some research to see if I was going to have to scrap my first batch. I really would have been emotional hahaha.

Back