Final Volume Mystery Solved - New Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whew, glad we cleared that up. Use a blowoff immediate after pitching. Same headspace I got in my repurposed water bottles.

That depends.

I use the 6gal BB and typically need a blowoff unless I am starting cooler than the yeast prefers and ramp up over the next few days.

Can too much head space create off flavors?

So bottom line, that's the right around of headspace..just use a blow off until it settles down every time?

That could explain why I've only had to use a blow off one time out of 8 batches.

I don't think you'll get off flavors from excessive headspace but with an inadequate amount you can have a mess. I'd move up a size in better bottles, personally, but a blow off tube might work too.

Hmm, might just keep it at 4 gallons for now. I'll up grade a little later.

Can too much head space create off flavors?

So bottom line, that's the right around of headspace..just use a blow off until it settles down every time?

That could explain why I've only had to use a blow off one time out of 8 batches.

Too much headspace is usually more of a concern if you're going to be bulk aging the beer. If you're doing a "normal" fermentation and packaging after a few weeks, a little extra headspace won't matter much (assuming you aren't pulling the bung out every day or something along those lines). Too little headspace where you're losing a ton of beer to blowoff...now that is a concern :)

Back