Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimothyTheGreat

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question but if the beer is at the final gravity can you bottle it right then? I am used to aging it in a carboy after it has reached final gravity but I found that most people don't use secondary fermenters. If I can bottle it once it reaches final gravity how long should I wait before drinking it?

Yes you can bottle as soon as you're SURE fermentation is done. Most people believe beer gets a bit better with more time, but its up to you. Time in bottle shouldn't change...minimum 2-3 weeks at 70 degrees or so.

Yeah,you can bottle right at FG. but it'll taste better if you give it 3-7 days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty. The beer will be better & you'll have less trub in the bottom of the bottles.

More time in the fermenter will also help clear your beer and leave less sludge in the bottom of each of your bottles.

Can you? Yes. Should you? Probably not.

You can bottle your beer at any time it gives you a consistent gravity reading for three days. Letting your beer sit a little longer does have it's advantages though.

The main advantage is that when wort ferments, there are several types of alcohol being produced. Moreso depending on the strain of yeast, wort temperature and other potential stressors. Yeast can and does produce more basic fusel alcohol, acetyl aldehyde and diacetyl during the early (or under stress) phases of brewing. By letting your beer rest an extra week on the yeast cake, your yeasts will begin to feed on these more basic alcohols and convert them from off flavors to more pleasureable esters and such.

Back