Final Gravity is off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skankin_brews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a Honey-Nut-Brown Ale with Danistar Nottingham yeast. My initial gravity was 1.055. My yeast seemed really sluggish so I let it sit in the Primary for 2 weeks and when I transferred yesterday I took another gravity reading and it was 1.036. I know in a weeks time the yeast are not going to get it down to 1.017 like I had planned.

My question if I re-pitch the yeast, is going to make things go to crazy or just have a weak beer?

Pitch some more yeast,it'll only eat the simple sugars. Not the long chain sugars that make color,body,& flavor. You def gotta get that 1.036 lower.

How much honey is in there? Honey usually ferments out much more than that. Yes, pitch more yeast.

In the future, if you really want to use a secondary, test your sample (like it sounds like you did). But if your sample tells you you haven't reached your final gravity yet, don't transfer yet. Wait to rack to secondary until you've reached FG, and you'll avoid the need to repitch.

Back