Final FauxKolsch Recipe- for approval.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjewell

Reaction score
So its "faux" because I am not using German Hops. Amarillo is used at flame out. The terminal gravity is a little high, but I cannot adjust anything without bringing SRM and alcohol out of the guideline....any tips for that? Its not that big of a deal, just would like to know for my information...

Mash @ 120's for 20 mins.
Mash @ 150's for 60 mins.
Mash out @ 170
Sparge @170 for 30 mins.
Boil for 60 mins.
Cool to 68 and ferment.
Rack to secondary when finish.
Lager.

So what do you think? I think it looks good... :)

deepwaterhorizon.jpg

I would lose the carafoam. You want as crisp a beer as you can.

ah, ok. I was looking to have a stubborn frothy head. So what grain or maybe an adjunct would you add to keep head retention? Or 'save your money'... :fro: *edit..... ALSO, I was sort of relying on that because my alcohol, srm, and FG, are hard to balance. I almost want to add dextrose sugar to it to fix the alcohol and bumping the munich and wheat to 1 pound.

dont know what to do....

As far as I can recall from my time in Cologne, Koelsch doesn't really keep it's head around very long, so you might not even want to go out of your way to get head retention.

As far as I can recall from my time in Cologne, Koelsch doesn't really keep it's head around very long, so you might not even want to go out of your way to get head retention.

lol wow, i was just going off of what I read, but you actually been to Colonge... I'll take you word on it! haha. :mug:

still need to fix my alcohol and my FG though. I am happy with 4.5 to 5, but I cant seem to balance it out with out messing up the SRM and FG.

well, to be fair, I didn't spend all that much time there. 2 weeks total.... but I drank a lot of Kolsch during that 2 weeks! :D

To double-check myself, I looked at the BJCP guidelines and it says
Has a delicate white head that may not persist

well, to be fair, I didn't spend all that much time there. 2 weeks total.... but I drank a lot of Kolsch during that 2 weeks! :D

To double-check myself, I looked at the BJCP guidelines and it says

lol.. 2 weeks isnt enough time, but I bet you had your fill. not! :mug:

Latest posts

Back