Filtering your beer gun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlevings12

Reaction score
I dry hopped an IPA with pellets and despite cold crashing for 3 days at 34 F and letting natural rise carbonate for 3 weeks, I still have lots of hop matter floating around when I pour a pint. I'm wanting to bottle for a competition on the next 72 hours. I was thinking of putting some cheese cloth at the end of my Blichmann beer gun. Anyone have any experience doing this? Does it work? I can't find any info out there on the interwebs.

I dry hopped an IPA with pellets and despite cold crashing for 3 days at 34 F and letting natural rise carbonate for 3 weeks, I still have lots of hop matter floating around when I pour a pint. I'm wanting to bottle for a competition on the next 72 hours. I was thinking of putting some cheese cloth at the end of my Blichmann beer gun. Anyone have any experience doing this? Does it work? I can't find any info out there on the interwebs.

I"ve done this with the autos-siphon and worked like a charm

I have yet to try it with my beer gun, however, I don't see why it would not work.

You would not be blocking anything when you pull the trigger as the rubber part goes against the bottom of the bottle. Do you mean inserting the gun into the bottle? That sounds like it might be a hassle. You''ll probably need a longer than usual cheese cloth so that you have clearance over the bottle.

Sanitize it and wrap it around, it will probably turn out ok and will probably only only be a slow bottling day.

I don't remember that being part of competition rules though; no sediment

Gravity - thanks for chiming in. My concern is that there will still be floaters in the bottle, which might knock it down a point or two. Mostly it's my perfectionism setting in. Trying to salvage my sanity more than anything else.

I hear you

You can always double wrap it, you may have some bottles that come out great, submit those, while others may have some particles; obviously don't submit those

Cold crashing is best at about a week or so, sounds like you're short on time

I say give it a go as nothing is perfect : - )

Back