Filtering peach puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deafmeadmaker

Deafmeadmaker
Reaction score
I wanted to make a peach mead and started with my base traditional, then added 3 cups of peach puree to a 1 gallon batch. After a few weeks, I tried to strain it out by hand siphon and when that didn't work, I used a course filter on my Buon Vino mini jet filter. Things didn't work out like I'd hoped. The filters clogged and sprayed mead everywhere.
Does anyone have a suggestion or did I just mess up beyond redemption?

Did you use pectic enzyme? I think peaches are notorious for leaving a pectic haze. If you have the means, you could also try cold crashing to knock the peach down.

I didn't think about that. Thanks for the heads up. I've got some space in my fridge and it's only a gallon. Each five gal. batch I do, I set aside a few gallons to experiment with later on. I've got some pectic enzyme around here somewhere.

I had the same issue with a pear Perry that I thought would never clear - even after cold crashing - Just do what I did - get disgusted with it and all pissed off, think evil thoughts about turning it into a barbecue sauce throw it in a dark recess of a cool closet and forget about it for 4-6 weeks. I looked at it yesterday and it isn't crystal clear yet, but damn close....It'll clear 100% eventually.

Back