Filtering lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnybravo

Reaction score
So, I've decided to filter a keg of home brew. My friends aren't into homebrew (narrow minded I think) and I want to make a crystal clear lager that they should accept.
I have set up a cartridge water filter between my two corny kegs with a 1 micron filter (the lager was originally naturally carbonated in a corny keg).
The trouble is that the lager is still cloudy after having passed it throught the filter twice. Will a 0.5 micron filter make the all important difference?
Thanks , John

I doubt it. I've used a .5 micron filter and in one lager it was cloudy and in another it was clear. Likely the beer just needs some cold conditioning time.

I think the .5 micron filter is supposed to remove most stuff, to "polish" the beer, but for yeast removal you'll need the "sterile" filter. That's .3 micron, I believe.

Remember that you should only filter clear beer anyway, to avoid clogging the pads, so maybe crash cool until clear and then pass it through the .5 micron filter. That should make a very clear beer.

I siphoned off a small bottle and the Yeast is starting to settle in the bottom so I'm going to give a 0.5 filter a go tomorrow. Ill
Let you know what happens!

Back