Filtering Headaches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soviet

Reaction score
Okay HomeBrewTalk, I need your help. But first I'd like to ask people to refrain from telling me not to filter. I would encourage people that DO filter to share their thoughts.

What I want:
Diamond bright beer. Not the kind that you see in photos on the forum where people are bragging that it is "crystal clear" but isn't; the kind where I can see and anticipate an assailant's attack while looking directly through a glass of pilsner :). I want it that way after cold crashing the finished, racked beer for 2-3 days. I also want to be able to take a keg of finished, carbonated beer anywhere and not "kick up" a bunch of sediment at the bottom making my beer look murky. Those are my goals, and that's why I chose to filter.

My process today is this:
  • I brew 10 Gallon batches
  • All grain, mash is recirculated (I brew on a Braumeister system)
  • I usually don't do a protein rest, as my electric system takes time to ramp up to different temps and I worry about the variability of enzyme activity on different ramp times, etc. I want to be consistent, but understand the benefits of a protein rest.
  • I control PH by pre-treating RO water, and adding salts (usually 9 grams of calcium chloride to 5 grams of gypsum for malty beers and close to vice-versa for hoppy beers. I split this amount into 2 additions, one for mash, one for kettle, aiming to have at least 50 PPM of calcium ions in the mash.
  • I don't sparge, it's kind of like brew in the bag
  • I usually mash for 45 min to 1 hour, I don't test for conversion. I taste the mash and I usually hit my numbers dead on.
  • I always add whirlfoc and yeast nutrient at 15 minutes left in the boil
  • Quickly cool my wort by using an immersion chiller and running electric kettle pumps.
  • I always add gelatin to the keg directly after racking off the better-bottle and just before I throw the keg in my cold refrigerator (32F), although sometimes I don't see a point to it frankly.
  • I've tried polyclar on occasion just to see if it would make a difference. Mostly I haven't noticed a difference because I don't think it's chill haze (photos to prove it forthcoming).

So, the idea is to drop the yeast or to clump it with gelatin, cold-filter the beer so that the proteins are clumped as well. First I used a plate filter and got terrible results on the 3-5 micron and 7 micron pads. In fact it may have made my beer CLOUDIER as crazy as that sounds. I attribute that to pushing the yeast with too much pressure and being a total newb at filtering. I did however get fed up with the plate filter and exchanged it for one of those canister ones because of how annoying it was to assemble the unit and constant air leaks everywhere. The canister is much better IMO at holding pressure and keeping air out of the beer, but my results are still dismal with this filter. I used the 1 micron nominal, don't know the manufacturer.

I brewed a very tasty blonde ale fermented with Belgian Strong Ale™ 1388 (very low floc, you know if you've ever brewed with it). It took it's sweet time to ferment (4 weeks) before showing ANY signs of dropping, I then racked it to a keg, threw a packet of knox gelatin (dissolved in hot water) over the top, closed, purged keg, and stuck it in the 32F fridge overnight. Next day, I filtered. This is what I got today:

2013-08-21%2009.59.44.jpg
46.8F

2013-08-21%2010.18.58.jpg
-52.2F

2013-08-21%2010.47.16.jpg
- 58 F

No change so this is clearly not chill haze, and it looks the same as the third pic at room temp. WTF is going on here? Filters don't work like that! I need some HBT insight.

I have a plate chiller, and I've stopped using it. Didn't like what it did to the flavor of my brews. Having said that. Its been my experience the the filtering process will remove particles. Yeast, hop particles, trub, etc. I'm not sure that's your cloudiness problem however (obviously since your filtering). The one question I would ask is: How are you chilling your wort? I've been complimented by several other home brewers on the clarity of my brews. I don't filter anymore, but I've found a couple of tricks that work for me. Make no mistake there is a difference like you said in your post. Filtered beer has a more "polished" look than what most of us call clear.

After flame out I whirlpool in my kettle before I start chilling with my IC. I wait til the temp drops to around 200F before I start chilling the wort. I've found if I let the temp get into the low 190s before I start chilling, I get cloudy brews. I don't cold crash or use gelatin anymore either. Just three weeks in the primary (then one more in the secondary if I dry hop), then straight to the keg. Three weeks of 'set it and forget it' and the first couple of glasses are cloudy, then liquid gold. So, I'm curious what your wort chilling procedure is? That might be a start.

Thanks for the responses so far, keep them coming. Living in Wisconsin, I have pretty cold ground water. I use a 50ft copper immersion chiller and start chilling immediately as I shut off the heating elements on the electric kettle. I usually get to sub-100 F within 15 minutes and to pitching temp around 30min or so. What rating filters are you guys using? Are you using nominal disposables or absolute and reusing? What pressures are you pushing the beer through? Do you do an iodine test (anotherwords could this be starch haze even though I'm hitting my numbers? My mash efficiency is consistently in the 80% range, but I lose a good amount of wort+trub behind in the kettle so my brewhouse efficiency is lower than that.

I get different results from my filtered beers (plate filter). Much different.

No idea what's causing that. You should listen to the BrewStrong podcast with Charlie Bamforth on chill haze. He covers everything. That guy is brilliant.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/572

I wish it were chill haze, it might be a lot easier to deal with. My beer definitely clears up over time in the keg, but as you can see from the photos, the appearance doesn't change much even at room temperature. Maybe I pushed the beer at too high a pressure? I could have sworn it was at almost zero PSI though...Maybe it's not the yeast, maybe something else! ARGGGG frustrated.

Quick update: Listened to the great podcast with Dr. Bamforth. Very nice. I'm going to do an iodine test and take a look at my PH again. Maybe starch is the culprit? Still, I have trouble understanding why this wouldn't get stripped out with a 1 micron nominal poly filter... is starch small enough to pass through it?

The other thing, is I think I there's some yeast flavor in there, maybe I just pushed the beer too quickly? I think I was at around 5 PSI

Another update: I was very close to buying a second canister housing and creating a 2-stage system to see if that would improve things. Instead of spending the extra cash, I just bought a 3 micron and a 1 micron filter, and did 2 passes. No improvement :(

I've learned some things along the way though. Anybody trying to beat any sort of haze should take some time and read this: http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/FileCabinet/WortandBeerFining_Manual[1].pdf

Although it's still not totally clear to me what the nature of my haze is as pictured in the original post, I think I know what to test for. Clearly the haze particles I'm trying to remove are too small to be caught by the filter. I don't believe it's a polyphenol haze as I would expect that to clear at room temperature and it did not do so. The beer picture above did eventually clear with cold conditioning, but that was more than 3 weeks after kegging—something I want to accelerate.

Here's what I'll be trying in the future: adding a 15-30 minute protein rest in my process. Using more whirlfloc (I use 1 tablet and I finish my boil with ~11 gallons). Perhaps 2 tablets might make the difference? Adding the whirlfloc at 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes in the boil. Adding gelatin AFTER keg is at lowest temp (this insight came from the manual above). I plan to try clariferm from White Labs. Finally, I may even add PVPP in somewhere, I'm not sure yet.

If anybody does the above, please chime in and describe when, how much, and why you use it it your process? Thanks.

Soviet, I just kicked a keg of a Belgian Blond that I used WLP500 on. This yeast would not drop out for anything! 4 Weeks in primary and then 3 weeks in the keg at "set it and forget it" pressure. After the 3 weeks carbing, it was still cloudy like yours. I warmed up some water in the microwave to about 150 and put in 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin and added it to the keg. After 48 more hours it was crystal clear.

Have you tried adding gelatin at that point in the process?

I usually add gelatin immediately after I transfer from my Better Bottle to the keg. I add the dissolved gelatin right on top of the racked beer, seal the keg, purge and put it in my fridge at 32F. Apparently that's wrong. According to the manual I linked to in my last post (although it refers to isinglass) clarity can actually be worsened unless you add it at the lowest temperature point. I'm going to try that instead. It still bothers me that if this is yeast, why it didn't get filtered out in 2 passes with a rough then polish filter!?!?!?!? WTF

It still bothers me that if this is yeast, why it didn't get filtered out in 2 passes with a rough then polish filter!?!?!?!? WTF

It might be that you weren't getting a good seal on the cartridge filter. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a good seal on those cartridges with rubber gaskets built onto them but the ones that are just spun polypropylene seem iffy. I could be wrong but I've had a similar experience and that's what I chalked it up to.

It might be that you weren't getting a good seal on the cartridge filter. I wouldn't worry too much about getting a good seal on those cartridges with rubber gaskets built onto them but the ones that are just spun polypropylene seem iffy. I could be wrong but I've had a similar experience and that's what I chalked it up to.

Came here to say this; sounds like the filtering is not working at all, which would point to a mechanical problem with the setup.

Now that I got through the entire keg of one of my filtered beers, I see yeast sediment at the bottom of it, which suggests that the filter may not have sealed well like @broadbill suggested. @Broadbill or @Sideways, the filters my homebrew shop sells don't come with rubber gaskets... Is anyone here filtering that can confirm their filters have seals/gaskets or recommend the filters they use?

I also learned a couple of things about gelatin that I've been doing wrong. First, gelatin's ability to fine can be compromised if you overheat the gelatin. Generally, I've been boiling water, putting it in a small glass pitcher and letting it cool slightly (never looked at temps). I know I've been inconsistent on this and it's quite possible that I added gelatin too soon and denatured it's ability to fine beer.

Second, I've been adding gelatin to the keg immediately after racking (at room temp), THEN sticking it in the fridge to crash it to 32F. It turns out gelatin works best when adding it to beer at it's COLDEST temperature, not to a cooling beer.

Third, be aware if gelatin is agitated, it will NOT resettle like isinglass. Anybody use any other fining agent like isinglass, sparkolloid, or polyclar? Any feedback is good.

Two or Three cartrdige filters (beer grade noit crappy house ones).

5micron (optional - keeps the next one from hop "damage")
1micron
.3 or .5 micron

Filter beer really cold!

Also, using whirlfock etc during boil helps.

I buy my filters and bulk yeast and bulk hops from Bob at http://www.beerandwinefilter.com/

He is a distributer and will sell to homebrewers. Call him. Tell him what you need. Nice guy. Also tell him Denny from Kelowna sent you!

There are some additives that can be hard to come buy that will aid in clearing beer with filtration but I think they are a waste of money.

Two or Three cartrdige filters (beer grade noit crappy house ones).

5micron (optional - keeps the next one from hop "damage")
1micron
.3 or .5 micron

Filter beer really cold!

Also, using whirlfock etc during boil helps.

I buy my filters and bulk yeast and bulk hops from Bob at http://www.beerandwinefilter.com/

He is a distributer and will sell to homebrewers. Call him. Tell him what you need. Nice guy. Also tell him Denny from Kelowna sent you!

There are some additives that can be hard to come buy that will aid in clearing beer with filtration but I think they are a waste of money.

Thanks for the response, Denny. I'll definitely ring this guy up. I took a look at the filters shown on the website—does he ship to your door? Which specific filters of his are you using? What brand? Also, I noticed he sells some more advanced stainless filter housing? Will these filters fit a plastic water filter canister housing like most homebrew shops sell?

If you have a photo of how clear your beer comes out after filtering, please post them for our viewing pleasure!

Thanks for the response, Denny. I'll definitely ring this guy up. I took a look at the filters shown on the website—does he ship to your door? Which specific filters of his are you using? What brand? Also, I noticed he sells some more advanced stainless filter housing? Will these filters fit a plastic water filter canister housing like most homebrew shops sell?

If you have a photo of how clear your beer comes out after filtering, please post them for our viewing pleasure!

His 10" filters will fit in household housing but he sells housings as well and in my opinion they are better. Just chat with him and he'll sort you out.

To clean you can back flush each filter (separately) with hot water then soak in oxyclean water. Backflush again before using again.

Also, you can use that peroxide they sell at hydroponics stores to occassionly "Bleach" them.

I have a lot of calcium in our water so I sometimes soak in citrus or (ugh) chlorine bleach to get rid of the calcium. (which will also bleach clean the filters but chlorine is nasty. I prerfer alkaline oxygen cleaners).

OH and a note on those filter pads you were using. If the pressure is to high sometimes the beer will bypass the pads, especially if they get clogged.

I'll give him a call for sure and I'll mention you. I read your other thread on dual-pass filtration and I have some more questions for you, Denny :).

1) Do you use any fining agents (excluding whirlfloc in the kettle) before filtering? What is your process with those?
2) How quickly can you get a diamond bright beer after racking from primary?
3) How different is your process when you dry-hop?

Thanks, Denny

Denny,
I'm not sure if you did answer on this one but which housing are you using? I see your recommended distributor and as stated there are several canisters and housings that could be used. Which one/s are you using? I just picked up the housings/filters from more beer but if the one's you mentioned seal better and are not silly more expensive I'll get them instead. Your thoughts on that please.

Progress update on my clarity problems: this was a simple yeast in suspension problem. Protein rests didn't seem to help. I went through just about every fining agent (polyclar/diverganF, gelatin, both combined, filtration with various nominal micron ratings) Here's the verdict:

1. Gelatin sucks (unless you use some high grade bloom 200+ or something). Here's why: you have to prepare it in a "sweet spot" of temperature so you don't denature the collagen. You have to wait for it to bloom. It's hard to keep it totally sanitized under these conditions. It doesn't resettle if disturbed in the keg. Results/clarity have been very inconsistent. If you haven't used things better than gelatin, please don't defend it.

2. Homebrew filtration sucks (so far). I still haven't tried the absolute-rated filter cartridges (super expensive), but the results of the nominal poly spun ones has been dysmal. They let through a ton of yeast even at the 1 micron rating, unless I'm doing it wrong. Which I could be. But I don't think I am.

3. Polyclar might be good at fixing chill haze caused by polyphenols, but it doesn't affect my yeast/colloidal haze.

4. Cold conditioning will get my beer clear but at 4+ weeks of cold conditioning, I don't want to wait that long.

5. Sparkalloid powder—only slightly clears yeast if added to fermenter. It might be effective for wine, I can't say the same for my beer.

6. Isinglass—WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!?!?! If you have access to isinglass at your local homebrew store, and it comes in the the liquid/gel form, buy it. Chill your beer to below serving temp, add the isinglass (no blooming/preparation necessary), shake your keg. Place directly in kegerator. 3 days or so later, your beer will pour brilliantly clear. And I'm talking virtually any beer. My hoppy red was pouring brilliant after multiple stage dry-hop additions. This is how finings should work. And your beer will taste so much better too.

7. I'll also be testing Clarity Ferm or Brewer's Clarex (goes in the fermenter when you pitch your yeast) to see if that might be the perfect 1-2 punch combined with isinglass for my crystal clear pilsners and kolsch beers.

Nominal cartridge filters are useless. You need brewery quality pleated absolute cartridges.

1 micron will remove all yeast.

.3 or so will usually remove chill haze if filtered cold but can strip some flavor and aroma.

I buy mine from Bob at beerandwinefilter.com
About 40 bucks a 10" pleated filter.

Also where i buy my bulk hops and dried yeasts. He also carries biofin fining. I was going to order some last hop order but forgot.

I back wash my filters with hot water then soak in oxiclean and then back wash again. High percentage peroxide should work well to.

Back