Filtering beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feffer

Reaction score
I'm a newbie brewer on my 3rd batch...an extract American IPA kit. It's being fermented entirely in the primary for 3 weeks total; it'll be done next week. I have corny kegs and a plate filter that I use in wine-making to filter my whites and fruit wines. I'm thinking of using it on the IPA after it's done in the primary. The primary bucket has a bottom valve, so I can just attach tubing and empty it into a CO2 purged corny. From there, I can pressurize the corny and force the beer through the plate filter and into the final corny where it'll be carbonated and finally served at a big Thanksgiving gathering.

Is filtering beer this way useful? Can it impart any off-flavors...from the filter pads? Wondering...

Thats pretty much the best way to filter it. My buddy used to use the exact method. It should net you a pretty clear beer. I bought a filter and ended up never using it. I prefer using gelatin opposed to filtering, but to each their own. I just saw gelatin as less expensive and less hassle.

Latest posts

Back