filtering after beer is bottled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San_Diego_Matt

Reaction score
I've got a beer that's been in bottles for 6-8 weeks now and it's tasting great.

This was only my second batch and as I was racking it into the bottling bucket the little strainer cap thing popped off my racking care and a fair amount of sediment (4oz's of dry hop pellets/no bag) ended up in the bottling bucket and I'm noticing now that it's in the bottles.

The bottles have always been stored standing up and even on the first pour (22 oz bottles) I'm getting a pretty thick layer of green on the bottom of the glass.

I've read up on what I need to do next time to not get so much sediment, but for this batch that's already bottled is there a way to filter some of that stuff out before drinking? Is it as simple as maybe pouring it through a coffee filter into the glass?

any help appreciated

Matt

Pretty much any way you do it, you'll take away the head. I would maybe recommend pouring 3/4 of the beer as normal, and then filtering the last 1/4 of it into the glass.

I understand the part about filtering the last bit only, but I can pour 6oz's out of a 22oz bottle and I still get fuunk

I honestly think it will eventually settle out if you can muster the patience to leave them cold for longer.

I think the issue is when you pop the cap, the co2 bubbles stirr up the very loose hop flakes. I've had this issue. Just lived with it. Try one of those $8.00 copper screen Coffee filters. It may be the best $8.00 you spend on that batch.

you do understand that whether or not you racked sediment at bottling time, the bottles will ALWAYS have sediment in them..right?

the priming sugar for carbonation gets eaten by the yeast, and thus sediment is created.

I honestly wouldn't mess with it now. just pour carefully after chilling two days, and enjoy. next time, just try to avoid the sediment. An auto-siphon has a tip on it that helps with that...and experience with racking will help too. you learn tricks and ways to be gentle but aggressive in the racking.

Latest posts

Back