FG reached in 3 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wags13

Reaction score
Hey, so my strong ale reached it final gravity in 3 days. I'll take another reading tomorrow to see if there is any movement. The recipe and the guy at my local supply shop recommends no secondary for this particular ale. Safe to bottle in that short time? I don't want to let is sit in spent yeast for too long for off flavor sake... Thoughts?

I'll be interested to read the recommendations here, too. I measured my Brewer's Best Holiday Ale today after 4 days. OG at 1.075 and is already at 1.010. This one had a bag of dried spices and orange peel and so I am thinking it needs to soak for a while yet.

I'm gonna guess the answer will be to leave it alone for at least two or three weeks.

Final gravity means it is safe to bottle, not ready to bottle. What makes you think there will be off flavors from yeast? People leave beer in the primary for months without issue. Don't worry about issues with yeast dying, that almost doesn't happen anymore with modern yeast. Certainly not in a couple weeks in normal circumstances.

Leave it alone for a couple of weeks and let the yeast clean up after itself, Final Gravity does not mean it is finished.
I don't even think of testing gravity in less than 2 weeks, Messing with your beer after only 3 days is really pushing it.

It seems every time I talk to my guys at my local supply shop they are always preaching racking to a secondary after FG is reached to prevent off flavors. It seems like they are the only ones that preach it though... And they always get me worrying.... Consensus, from what I've gathered in reading these forums, is that 3 weeks or more in the primary is just fine. Which is what I've done in the past, but in the past I've had off flavors that I could never truly figure out. I need to be patient I think.

menerdari said:
Leave it alone for a couple of weeks and let the yeast clean up after itself, Final Gravity does not mean it is finished.
I don't even think of testing gravity in less than 2 weeks, Messing with your beer after only 3 days is really pushing it.

Thanks. The instructions that came with an amber ale that I got from these folks says to rack to a secondary in 3-5 days which seems crazy, is it?? I'm glad I'm getting the answers that I expected here. Need to not put too much stock in the guys I've been talking to the store I think.

It is not as crazy as it is unnecessary. I would leave it 2 week min @ primary and then bottle/keg it.
Actually you can rack it to secondary but it is not necessary, plus you are risking oxidation and infection if you're not familiar with it.

Latest posts

Back