FG check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtybasementbrew

Reaction score
I know airlock activity does not mean much but today I'm on day 9 and I wanted to check the gravity. I noticed that the airlock has a burp about every 40-50 seconds. I don't want to open the lid till completely done. I ask because I use safe ale 05 quite a bit and in 3 or 4 days its usually done. Could there b another reason why the airlock keeps burping?

Sometimes during fermentation CO2 stays dissolved in the solution instead of bubbling out as its produced. I have taken gravity readings before that were slightly carbonated as a result. So basically, your fermentation could be complete but you are getting bubbles because the beer is still degassing. CO2 staying in solution can give the appearance of a stuck fermentation or an overly long one, which is why it is recommended to take gravity readings instead of monitoring airlock activity.

There are different ideas, but I'd rather leave the beer alone as long as possible. I check gravity two days before bottling, then again on bottling day to be sure it's stable. Papazian warned against "mucking about in your beer".

I was gonna move it onto some apples this weekend that gives it two weeks on the cake. Ill check Thursday than again on Saturday. Sound about right?

I have a similar issue. All of my previous beers have stopped bubbling in the airlock after 6 days. I'm on day 10 in the primary and I'm still getting burps every minute or so. For me this is my first higher OG beer using a yeast starter, liquid yeast, and checking my SG. I'm not sure if my OG measurement was correct but it came up at 1.055 which is MUCH lower than the target of 1.071. (Hence my doubt about measurement. I did a full boil so it's not like I added water)

I checked my SG today and it's at 1.016. The bottom line for me is unless I'm given a convincing argument I'm just going to leave the beer in the primary for a few more weeks (clear it up, ensure the beasties are done eating) and then transfer to the secondary for aging.

Beer: Bourbon Barrel Old Ale
Yeast: WLP001 California Ale Yeast
Starter: 1L Starter
OG: 1.055 (may have been wrong)
Current SG: 1.016
Bubbles: every minute or so

You should be fine as long as the apples are sterilized. Since the fermentation is going to be restarted when you rack on the apples I don't think you need to take two readings. Stable gravity is necessary for bottling but its not as important prior to the secondary fermentation. The more you futz with it the more likely you can pick up something uninvited. I would just take the reading when you rack it Saturday and let the yeast do all the worrying. And trust me, there will be plenty of yeasts still in solution to clean up the beer without the help of the primary yeast cake.

On a side note most of my brews with US05 are done fermenting by day 5 as well

Back