FG/Attenuation in American Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Curious to where people like target their American Barleywine FGs? Obviously a big part should be depending on where the OG starts.

I haven't done any barleywines in the past and brewed up my first one at the end of October (condensed recipe is below). I always get good attenuation in all my beers, even big ones like IIPA and IS. Nothing more I dislike than an under attenuated beer. For this beer I used Nottingham, which ended at 1.013! I was targeting 1.018-1.020 (OG 1.092), but I was surprised at the 85% AA. The tasting at bottling last night was quite good--dominated by bitterness and hop flavor at this juncture, but there is still enough sweetness even at 1.013.

So where do you like your FG on a 1.080-1.100 barleywine?

Grain + Hops
9.0 lb Maris Otter (3L)
8.0 lb Two-row (2L)
2.0 lb Victory (28L)
0.5 lb Crystal 80L
0.2 lb Special B (130L)
1.5 lb Corn Sugar
2.00 oz. Summit 17.1% AA – 60 min
0.50 oz. El Dorado 14.0%AA – 10 min
0.50 oz. Columbus 14.0% AA – 10 min
0.50 oz. Cascade 6.8% AA – 10 min
0.50 oz Cascade, Columbus, El Dorado – dry hop - 8 days

2 11g packets of rehydrated Nottingham, fermented in upper 60s.

OG: 1.092
FG: 1.013
ABV: 10.5%
IBU: 98

I like them dry. My last one went from 1.100 to 1.010, and tasted just right to me. Still plenty of sweetness.

We're on the same page with the attenuation. Curious to hear from more. What kind of yeast did you use in that brew?

We're on the same page with the attenuation. Curious to hear from more. What kind of yeast did you use in that brew?

I started with PacMan, but surprisingly it stalled at around 1.019 (too sweet for me). So I threw together a quick starter of various slurries I had on hand (a teaspoon of each) 3711, WLP022, and a couple of others if I remember correctly.

I figured the PacMan had reached it's alcohol limit, so pulled together several yeasts I had on hand to try and bring it down a bit more. I was really surprised that PacMan packed up at about 11%

Back