FG=1.025, done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basisforaday

Reaction score
So I have an IPA that has been in the primary for 9 days. I have taken a hydrometer reading the past couple days and they have both read 1.025. The OG was 1.072. Do you think it's done or possibly stalled? I had been fermenting at a constant 61-63 degrees.

I think it is stalled. Kudos on you for taking a hydro reading btw.

I would give the fermenter a gentle "swirl," just tip it on it's side and give it a quick rotation to kick the yeast up, and then warm the fermenter up a bit more, like move it to a slightly warmer spot or wrap a sleeping bag around it.

Estimated FG was supposed to be 1.070 so I was right around that. I used US-05 for the yeast.

I've given it a swirl a few times so I might try and get it a little warmer and see if that helps.

Yeah I think that's what it was. I can't be sure until i get home to look at the recipe but it's definitely lower than 1.025.

It might actually be finished.

1.025 from 1.072 is 65% apparent attenuation (AA) which isn't outside the realm of possibility when the ferment is conducted at the low end of the strain's temperature range.

A more thorough answer depends on the recipe. There are ingredients factors which must be considered.

Certainly warm the fermenter to ~70F and gently rouse. But post back with the complete recipe so we can really nail this down.

Bob

According to your OG, I think you may wish to see if it gets down to about a 1.018. I arrived at that FG by dividing the numbers to the RIGHT of the decimal point in your OG by 4.

.072/4=.018 which I have read is a good way to judge, give or take, as to when your brew has finished fermenting and is ready to bottle.

Cheers!

Here's the recipe:

Type: Extract
Date: 1/4/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.70 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 92.77 %
0.30 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3.61 %
0.30 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.61 %
1.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 44.3 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (15 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.59 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 62.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.6 SRM Color: Color

Thanks guys.

So I've tried moving the carboy to a warmer place and tried to swirl it to get the yeast going again. I took another hydro reading a few minutes ago and its still at the same reading. Should I add more yeast? Any other suggestions?

Could take a day to two after warming and rousing before you see a change. I let mine ferment for 3 weeks. I don't take hydrometer readings until 2 weeks in. Sometimes not even until the day I move it to cold crash just to make sure it's ready.

Nothing wrong with letting it sit longer.

Latest posts

Back