Festivus Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpsoccERIC22

Reaction score
Hope everyone is enjoying a nice homebrew on this sat evening. I'm trying to plan my next brew day and want to do a winter style. I talked to my cousin who lives in Washington D.C. and he said he would really enjoy an Festivus style. I have not heard of this and all my google searches are getting me no where. I'm not 100% sure it's a particular style. If anyone has any information on any Festivus type beers or better yet a good recipe to work with I would be eternally grateful. If not then I'll just find a good winter porter and work with that. Hope I didn't take too much of your drinking time up, Cheers everyone:mug:

I never watched Seinfeld, but it sounds like it's definitely not a style. I'll just have to find a good winter style to brew within the next couple weeks.

Any beer will do the job as long as it results in the traditional feats of strength and the airing of grievances

HAR! Yes to the above! ^^^^^

Seriously though, brew a nice winter ale with a high ABV and some spice and you'll be in the clear.

Well, it needs to be alcoholic enough to ease both the feats of strength and airing of grievances. And you must, MUST stir the mash with an aluminum pole.

FWIW, I've named my holiday beer "Airing of Grievances". Any Holiday/Winter Warmer/Christmas type beer will do. Something fairly malty, rich, and strong. Spiced or not, your call.

Any Festivus beer must be strong enough so that the partakers can participate in 'the airing of greivences'...

"I've got some bones to pick with you people!"- Mr Costanza

Festivus for the rest of us!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This made my day. We need to turn our Oktoberfest into a beer Festivus. You can have a giant brew tower system or taps on a huge aluminum pole

Any beer will do the job as long as it results in the traditional feats of strength and the airing of grievances

Do what I did with my last batch: accidentally add too much extract and bump the ABV of the recipe up to 14%. That'll get you airing grievances in no time :D

I think Kramerica Industries actually brews that style you might want to look up. The brewmaster Darren has been there since the start, clever guy.
They do all kinds of food and condiment production. It has a muffin subsidiary too.

To answer your question, a winter warmer beer. A quick google will show you one by a Penn brewer, a beer festival in Denver in midDecember. At least one Oregon brewery has done a Festivus beer but I don't remember which one, do remember chuckling at the idea of it.

I think Kramerica Industries actually brews that style you might want to look up. The brewmaster Darren has been there since the start, clever guy.
They do all kinds of food and condiment production. It has a muffin subsidiary too.

I also heard a hot tip they're getting into the oil business....something about a bladder liner for tankers to prevent oil spills.

Also, might want to seek out Art Vandelez. He's an importer/exporter

If you do brew a Festivus, better see if you can find brewer's assistant Mulva to help out. If she's busy, maybe Delores could help out.

Also don't brew this one out in the cold, or it might shrink like a frightened turtle. Yes, those things shrink.

Funny thread, but I bet your cousin was talking about THIS. It's a Winter Warmer from Full Pint Brewing in PA.

Edit to add: According to their website, it's brewed with cinnamon, vanilla, and mace.

tumblr_lwnwmoxoWP1qz579so1_400.jpg

I think Kramerica Industries may have sold out to Vandelay Industries

I heard Vandelay Industries is trying to branch out of latex

I would gladly brew a Festivus beer if I could, but I'm out of cash after donating to the Human Fund. Great cause... money for people.

I think Kramerica Industries may have sold out to Vandelay Industries

I heard Vandelay Industries is trying to branch out of latex

They went down hill after their head of sales left to follow his passion for marine biology. After he was caught with his pants down with that employment scandal he had no choice to leave I think.

Market Garden in Cleveland also brews a "Festivus Ale"--it's a spiced, holiday style. Not sure what's in it, but probably the usual cinnamon, ginger, maybe nutmeg. Only available on draft, TMK.

This is the best thread I've ever read on here.

Homebrew Exchange has a Festivus recipe on their site. Can't seem to copy the link on my phone. They have it in 1 gallon all grain and 5 gallon extract. The extract recipe uses toasted oats, not just just oat flakes.

Careful though. You might end up on someone's list of grievances next year if you mess it up.

I brew a beer every winter called "Festivus!". My wife and I throw a Festivus party every year since we aren't very religious and have friends of all different faiths and beliefs...it's always pretty fun.

This years Festivus! was brewed just a few days ago...

4lbs Marris Otter
12oz Special B
8oz Crystal 10L
8oz Victory
4oz Chocolate
6lbs Marris Otter LME

1oz Nugget @60
1oz Willamette @5

2oz Sweet Orange Peel @15
1 Cinnamon Stick @5

4oz cocoa nibs in secondary for 4 weeks
8oz Fresh Tapped Maple Syrup added at kegging

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Mashed at 152

I got amazing efficiency this year!! 1.080. Hoping for 8%. We'll see.

A FESTIVUS FOR THE REST OF US!

Northern Brewer has a winter ale kit called Festivus Miracle. Be sure to wash your hands before you brew it.

It must be brand new. I've never seen that before

GET OUT!!!

Got the new catalogue with my order today. It's on the first page. First time I've seen it. I can't think of another clever Seinfeld reference right now.

( Kramer busts through the door and the audience laughs and cheers.)

GET OUT!!!

Got the new catalogue with my order today. It's on the first page. First time I've seen it. I can't think of another clever Seinfeld reference right now.

( Kramer busts through the door and the audience laughs and cheers.)

I really wanted to get this one for a brew to share during the holidays, but it has a bit too much grain for my 5 gallon cooler.

Latest posts

Back