Ferulic Acid Rest with BiAB Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning to brew a Bavarian Hefeweizen this weekend, and been researching on how to get banana flavors. I keep hearing that in order to get that, you need to do a ferulic acid rest at 110 for 20 minutes before the mash at 153ish.

So if I'm doing a BiAB, would I do this by resting it at 110, and then keeping the bag in while it's heating to 153? or would I take the bag out first?

I know it might be a dumb question, but I keep hearing that if you have the heating element on (I'm using an electric stove btw), you can scorch the bag. Is it safe to leave in while heating to 153?

Let me know, plan to brew this Saturday, thanks!

FYI
An acid rest promotes clove (possibly), and has nothing to do with banana.

If you read brulosophy, a few days ago they published an exbeeriment comparing hefeweizens with and without an acid rest.

FYI
An acid rest promotes clove (possibly), and has nothing to do with banana.

If you read brulosophy, a few days ago they published an exbeeriment comparing hefeweizens with and without an acid rest.

Just saw that. thanks. Ah well, I may skip it then.

I’m running BIAB propane setup with a pulley. Wondering the same.. is it best to pull the bag and heat after the ferulic rest?
I can probably top some off during mash, but lifting the bag, adding salts and heating seems easier

If your bag is a synthetic material you won’t want to keep in on the bottom of your kettle it will melt, unless you have a false bottom. I like doing step mashes for wheat beers.

IMO, that would depend... how has your beer (hefeweizen) been without the rest?
I’ve done two hefe’s. Both a couple years back when I was bottling. both batches had phenols that were bandaid like, maybe an infection. I now ferment in kegs and have nailed the source of off flavors. Anyway, i’ve read up on hefe brewing techniques and the feurlic rest poked my interest. Many professionals do an acid rest so i’d like to try on BIAB if possible. but if it’s too cumbersome why bother. I haven’t found much feedback from propane BIAB brewers . Maybe i’ll skip.

I plan on using a traditional mash bill and munich classic yeast… haven’t used this one before

Last edited:
Forget the acid rest. Lallemand Munich Classic dry yeast @ 68f will give you a German Hefeweizen. I was stationed in Germany for almost 10 years and drank more than my fair share of Hefeweizen. I’ve tried all the tricks with mash schedules and yeast temperatures and pitch rates, all with mediocre results.

Using Lallemand Munich Classic has made my Hefeweizen rival most of those I drank there. Took some to my drinking buddy from Germany, he took a drink and said “now THAT’s the taste I’ve been missing.”

Forget the acid rest. Lallemand Munich Classic dry yeast @ 68f will give you a German Hefeweizen. I was stationed in Germany for almost 10 years and drank more than my fair share of Hefeweizen. I’ve tried all the tricks with mash schedules and yeast temperatures and pitch rates, all with mediocre results.

Using Lallemand Munich Classic has made my Hefeweizen rival most of those I drank there. Took some to my drinking buddy from Germany, he took a drink and said “now THAT’s the taste I’ve been missing.”
Any chance you can share a recipe?

I'm considering trying this one, but with Munich Classic instead of WLP300
https://recipe.brewfather.app/f9rBMvxneRiOy00hV5zfbTDXuFrvww
If you suggest skipping the complicated mash schedule, what should I aim for instead? 60 min at 158*f?

I only spent about 3 weeks in Munich back in 2014 and ever since I have been missing the flavor and aroma of that very first Schneider Weisse Tap 7 and Shweinshaxe...

Here's a couple thing to think about:

1. How fine is your grain milled? How long does it take for full conversion of the starch to sugar?
2. What kind of body are you expecting the finished beer to have?

When I started BIAB mashes I was under the impression that I needed to control the mash temp for a full hour for starch conversion. Then one day I bought a bottle of iodine to see how long that starch to sugar conversion would take. You need to do that same experiment as it tells you how long to hold the mash temperature.

Once I knew how long the conversion takes, I started experimenting with the body of the finished beer at different temperatures. You need to do this experiment too. It's an eye opener.

Any chance you can share a recipe?

I'm considering trying this one, but with Munich Classic instead of WLP300
https://recipe.brewfather.app/f9rBMvxneRiOy00hV5zfbTDXuFrvww
If you suggest skipping the complicated mash schedule, what should I aim for instead? 60 min at 158*f?

I only spent about 3 weeks in Munich back in 2014 and ever since I have been missing the flavor and aroma of that very first Schneider Weisse Tap 7 and Shweinshaxe...
55% wheat
40% pils or pale
5% carapils

Mash @152f for 60 min

Boil 60 min with 1oz. Tettnang or hallertau per 5 gallons

Ferment @68F. Bottle to 3 vol CO2. Do not keg as it will turn into a krystalweizen.

I open ferment in a sterilite container from Walmart

I don't like clove so I avoid the acid rest. If I want to do a protein rest when there is 20% or more of a flaked grain I mash in at 1:1 liquor to grain ratio and then add boiling liquor from my HLT. I put together a 3v system for 10 gal batches but couldn't do 5 gal ones. I got a bag and pulley. When I need to I do a 2v system with the HLT and BK. All you need is an extra pot for the stove and How to Brew has the formula.

If you've never done step mashes, try it. It adds a little time to your day, but personally, I enjoy the process and the end result, especially on my hefe.

The only opinion that matters is yours and the only way you're going to test that opinion is by trying the step mash. If you don't like the results switch back on the next batch.

Ive personally brewed a lot of Hefe Weissbier and played with the temeprature often. If you want a more banana taste simply ferment over 68°F. Yeast will take care of the rest.

55% wheat
40% pils or pale
5% carapils

Mash @152f for 60 min

Ferment @68F. Bottle to 3 vol CO2. Do not keg as it will turn into a krystalweizen.

Thank you for the recipe. I think I saw you post this on r/homebrewing and I’m making something almost identical. Going for a 149f single infusion mash and fermenting in a keg around 66f. Going to Germany for a honeymoon later this year, mostly for the hefeweizen..lol

55% wheat
40% pils or pale
5% carapils

Mash @152f for 60 min

Thanks!

I'll give this a go first, and then maybe try a more complicated mash on a future brew.

Latest posts

Back