Fermwrap on SS conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labeeratory

Reaction score
I just bought two fermwraps for a ss brewtech 14 gallon conical. First problem is they do not fit well but I think I can make it work. Secondly, the setup looks a bit sketchy to me especially when not grounded. Should I be worried about this on a potentially moist metal surface???

Has anyone successfully used a cooling jacket with an ss brewtech conical?

It would work... you just have to use it on the area between the top of the legs and the latches... coolzone makes an adjustable diameter set that would work on it... so would blue discharge hose wrapped around it..I use both on my conicals and the advantage of the coolzone jacket easy removal if you want to do that...I insulated mine with foil faced bubble wrap.. I cip but i could easily ad auto shutoff quick disconnects to disconnect my glycol lines to remove and clean it if I wanted.

I was thinking about the layflat. I decided not to do the jackets because they're to tall and don't fit between the latches and legs. How do you make it work? Also has anyone used the heater cord? How effective is it?

I was thinking about the layflat. I decided not to do the jackets because they're to tall and don't fit between the latches and legs. How do you make it work? Also has anyone used the heater cord? How effective is it?

I use the same cord as milldoggy just linked above and it works great. I have a 7g SS Brewtech conical and it has always worked fine, I'd get the longer 50 watt version for your larger conical. Also using mine on my 2 new mini brew buckets, working great! OH caveat, my ferm chamber is in the basement, temp now around 60 down there, my brother has the same setup in a non-heated garage and had to add an additional heater to support temps in the winter when it drops below mid 30's..

You wrap it around the conical a few times and then put some sort of reducers in the ends...I used simple rubber stoppers with short pieces of 3/8" copper pipe in them as reducers that I attached the cooling lines too(with a hose clap around the whole thing... I then wrapped the whole thing in 2 layers of foil faced bubble wrap which works well as an insulating jacket to help hold temps and prevent sweating..you can use foil faced HVAC tape to hold things in place and tape the foil wrap into a neat jacket (I was not as concerned about aesthetics) . it worked so well on my test run I had frost on the inside walls of the conical!

I use something very similiar to this for my heaters... http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-60W-Fle...906349?hash=item4ae6b07ead:g:XI4AAOSwal5YD6Oo

only mine are 36" long and run on 24v dc.

coolzone has narrow jackets too that are only like 10" tall.. you would have to buy 3 of to reach the diameter of your conical... Someone in their marketing dept got smart and decided to sell tiny 1 gallon modular jacket wraps so you can build larger wraps or one almost as effective as their carboy wrap for more $. The pricepoint is too high to me for what it is... Basically smaller versions of a solar shower bag with a water path melted into it, 2 hoses instead of one and velcro attached only its $60 a section instead of the $8 you would pay for the solar shower twice its size... so it would be like $180 to get the same cooling as I got from the single $65 (at the time) original carboy model.

So do you have the 14 gallon chronically? Because the distance between the legs and latches on my fermenter is only 7.5 inches-ish so the 10 inch jacket definitely won't fit in that space. Could you post a picture of your setup?

Back