Fermwrap + mini fridge + 35F garage = ALE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judochop

Reaction score
I just picked up a mini-fridge that I’m going to use as a fermentation chamber. I’m getting a 2-way temperature regulator so I can use the fridge in conjunction with a Fermwrap(tm) for total temp control, and I’m thinking the thing’s going in the garage where it gets up to 75-80 in the summer and down to 35-40F in the winter, courtesy of Chicago weather.

I know I’m good for the summer, lager or ale.

My question is: What kind of control will I have in the winter for reaching upper temps? With a Fermwrap applied directly to the glass carboy, inside an insulated box (aka. mini fridge), can I get my beer up to 72 degrees and hold it there in a 35 degree garage? If not, what kind of cutoff point am I looking at?

Thanks!

i can't comment on the fermwrap, but you can use a low wattage incandescent lightbulb inside the fridge, controlled by the 2-stage controller, and it would work great. This is what I do in my fermentation fridge. I use 40W because my fridge is like 21 cubic feet or something stupid, but in a mini fridge, something smaller might do fine.

... just an option of the fermwrap doesn't work out for you.

edit: not sure where you are placing the probe for your controller, but note that if you keep the ambient temp at 72, the beer itself could get much warmer. I keep my fridge set to 62 (ambient) and the beer gets up to 67 or so at the peak of fermentation.

I'm in NorCal, but Jan/Feb still has days in the 40's and lows to low 30's. My mini fridge is in the garage where I use a fermwrap to easily achieve ale temps. In fact, I cut my fermwrap in two pieces and wired up the loose half so I'd have a second unit. One half of the fermwrap is fine, I'm sure with the whole thing you'll have no issues.

not sure where you are placing the probe for your controller, but note that if you keep the ambient temp at 72, the beer itself could get much warmer.
Plan on taping the probe to the side of the carboy (with a little insulation cover to help isolate the beer temp), just beyond where the Fermwrap ends. So, it's hopefully beer temp I'm reading, and not the ambient air inside the chamber.

As the fermentation temp climbs beyond the 68 degrees (or whatever) I have it set at, the Fermwrap should shut off, and from there I'm not sure... I'm guessing the fridge may actually kick on a bit? Or maybe the outside garage temp will work its magic through the fridge to keep the beer temp in check until it drops below the threshold again. Not sure how that all works in theory or in practice.

One half of the fermwrap is fine, I'm sure with the whole thing you'll have no issues.
Sweet. I figured as much, with direct contact and insulation all in my favor. Thanks for confirming.

I told the SWMBO, "No prob. It'll go in the garage" before I really had that confirmed. Whew!

Seems the fermwap might heat the glass up a bit. I'd be wary of false read by taping the controller probe to the carboy. I use a thermowell to read off the beer temp. Or you could go my the air temp, but as stated fermentation activity would drive that up a bit.

Seems the fermwap might heat the glass up a bit. I'd be wary of false read by taping the controller probe to the carboy. I use a thermowell to read off the beer temp. Or you could go my the air temp, but as stated fermentation activity would drive that up a bit.
Thermodynamics ain't my thang.

Should I not apply the fermwrap directly to the glass? (ie Put it loosely coiled in the corner, letting it heat up the ambient air.)

I've heard so many arguments for and against the thermowell and swinging temp theories that I don't think I can make an informed decision anymore. I had to pick, so I decided to not spend extra money and just tape it.

Wondering what you ended up doing here. I am in the same boat and was thinking of just warming up the ambient temp. This way I can get a more accurate read of the actual beer temps rather than the fermwrap. Let me know!

Wondering what you ended up doing here. I am in the same boat and was thinking of just warming up the ambient temp. This way I can get a more accurate read of the actual beer temps rather than the fermwrap. Let me know!
The fridge is still in the box. But I've been using the fermwrap applied directly to the carboy in my basement (with the probe taped to the side, as I said I would) and it seems to be holding steady right where I ask it to.

:ban:

This friday I'm doing a kolsch and will probably be pulling out the fridge for it. It won't be a true test of the fermwrap's capabilities since the garage will be in the upper 40's and 50's, and I'm not expecting to hit any fermenting temps over 65. So, sorry. I'm probably going to have to wait until next winter before I find out just how warm I can get in a really cold garage.

Back