Fermenting temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j4mcadow

Reaction score
I have two carboys fermenting downstairs in a closet. They have been down there for 3 days and the activity looks good. My question is on temperature, the yeast I used stated a temperature range of 60 to 70. As of now the thermometer along side the carboys states 56 degrees, should I be concerned about it being too cool in there?

first off, welcome to HBT!! and to answer your question, no. fermentation is exothermic, so it'll be warmer than ambient temps. i regularly ferment ales with an ambient temp in the mid to high 50s.

I was wondering the same thing. Is it bad that I brought it out of my basement and let it slow come up to room temp?

Just keep in mind that the colder the brew temp,the slower it ferments. It's also good with that paradigm to pitch the right amount of yeast. Not to mention,raising the temp a little if it's down near minimum temp as initial fermentation finishes. You don't want the temp going down that few degres to more closely mimic ambient temps,& drop out of the yeasts' minimum range.

I was wondering the same thing. Is it bad that I brought it out of my basement and let it slow come up to room temp?

usually room temp is a bit too warm, but it shouldn't be an issue. it's during the early stages of fermentation when temp control is most critical. it really depends on what temps it was at, and what temps in will reach at your ambient room temp.

usually room temp is a bit too warm, but it shouldn't be an issue. it's during the early stages of fermentation when temp control is most critical. it really depends on what temps it was at, and what temps in will reach at your ambient room temp.

+1 to the above. I like to warm it up slightly to finish off fermentation.

+1 to the above. I like to warm it up slightly to finish off fermentation.
+1 here too. Once fermentation appears complete I'll warm my ales up to around 65-67F for a week. But I never move the beer from primary until the hydrometer says the fermentation is complete, and the week at 65F pretty much always takes care of that.

unionrdr said:
Just keep in mind that the colder the brew temp,the slower it ferments. It's also good with that paradigm to pitch the right amount of yeast. Not to mention,raising the temp a little if it's down near minimum temp as initial fermentation finishes. You don't want the temp going down that few degres to more closely mimic ambient temps,& drop out of the yeasts' minimum range.

This!

This point was particularly driven home on this latest brew. I forgot to put the now sanitized/cleaned spigot back into the FV & sanitize that first. So the BK of wort sat in the ice bath till I was done. It had gotten down to 13C,or 55.4F. I'd re-hydrated the 15g packet of Cooper's ale yeast (Midwest & NB have the larger 15g packets really fresh!) re-hydrated,stirred,& pitched.
I swirled it at 15C some 5 hours later. 30 minutes later,it hit 16C (60.8F) & pegged the airlock's center piece against the cap. The next day about lunchtime,It got up to 20C (68F) with 2" of krausen. After initial fermentation,it pegged at 19C (66.2F). It's still at about FG 1.013-4. Airlock cap rose up after test yesyerday,so maybe knock off another point tomorrow.
This should illustrate the points I was making in my previous post. No blow off needed,but additional care is also very much needed.:mug:

Back