Fermenting Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doornumber3

Reaction score
Funny, but i have to admit in over a year of alot of brewing, did my first scottish ale (not sure why it took me so long). I've had it in primary for 3 weeks right now and looking for recommendations.....I'm not usually a secondary guy but was thinking of doing secondary on this and maybe bringing the temps down to about 55 or so for another 3 weeks....Any thoughts or recommendations on this. Has been in primary at 63 degrees.

I love Scottish ales. I think the style is really under appreciated. There is such a range of possibilities under one name.

3 weeks at 60-63 is exactly my fermentation schedule for Scottish ales. I don't see what benefit you will gain from letting it sit longer (besides additional clearing). You will just have to wait longer before you can enjoy it. What yeast did you use?

I love the Scottish and Scotch Ales. At three weeks, you are most likely as done as you are going to get. Your temperature is in a really good range. If it is a Scottish Ale (60/-, 70/-, or 80/-) I wouldn't secondary it at all and just bottle/keg from where you are at. If it is the stronger Scotch Ale, I would bottle it and put it someplace dark and dank for 4 to 6 weeks to smooth out. (OK, I am kidding about the dank part).

My Scottish Ales usually are better a good 4 to 5 weeks after bottling. The flavors seem to blend together nicely with the added time.

Latest posts

Back