Fermenting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikecbrid

Reaction score
I've had my beer fermenting for 72 hours now, I'm getting great activity through the air lock. My concern is there's only about a half inch of krausen. Am I stressing out over nothing?

After looking up krausen on google I would say not to panic. I however would have called it about a half inch of vomit looking foam. So I guess it is good it has already been named. I would have officially named it "Vomtop".

Ok thanks. I've got another question maybe ya could help with, I've been reading up on fermenting temps and stuff like that. I see some people saying stuff about getting an internal temp besides just the thermometer on the carboy because the temp on the inside can be different. Something to stay on top of or no?

I just keep mine at 68-70 using the carboy mounted sticker. All has been well for me. And that is how all my brewbuds do it too. But I am still a little "green" myself. That is why I only post In the kiddie pool for now.

Yeah the size of the krausen can vary on the type of the yeast and wort. I have seen certain yeast strains have a larger krausen and also high gravity worts tend to create a larger krausen. As far as temperature control goes, a lot of people simply tape a temperature probe to the side of their carboys and insulated it really well. This is the method I use and I have had great results.

Yes, the ONLY activity that is an ACCURATE indicator of fermentation is a gravity reading....nothing else.

It doesn't matter what an airlock does or doesn't do, nor what your krausen looks like, if it's big or small Those things are governed by environmental things and can vary from batch to batch, even two batches of the same beer can have two entirely different krausen pattern....and it doesn't mean anything.

You have krausen, that means you have fermentation, and that's all that matters, not how it looks.

New brewers often think their beer is weak or something and feel the need to hover over it, and micromanage things...and obsess over everything, without usually even understanding what they're looking at....or if anything is wrong.

Usually the best advice on here is to;

stepaway_copy-15858.jpg

Back