Fermenting or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyinpig

Reaction score
Brewed 1/5/12, Docklands Porter kit, OG 1038, moved to secondary 1/11/12, SG1018, checked again on 1/13 just to see, SG still 1018, with airlock still raised a bit (2 PC.), let it sit to condition. Checked it last night 1/19/12, SG still 1018. I emptied the airlock and reset it, it appears to be raised a very little bit and there are very small bubbles still rising. The beer looks clear (as possible for a Porter) all the way down. I was going to bottle it today but don't want to make bombs in my bathroom. My original plan was to primary 7, secondary 7 (dependent on SG stable), and bottle condition at room temp for 7 then place in fridge for as long as I can wait. Will I be ok to bottle or should I wait a little longer? Thanks for you guidance!

I the room the fermenter is in is too cold,it can stall after initial fermentation is done. I'd gently swirl the FV to get some yeasy back in suspension. Then wrap a blanket or old winter coat around it to warm it up a bit. That should get it to knock off those last few points.
And beer needs to be in the bottles at least 3 weeks at 70F or so to carb & condition. Then a week in the fridge to get the head & carbonation good.

I had a stalled fermentation in my primary on my first batch ever (recently). I just moved it to a slightly warmer spot and also gave the bucket a few solid swirls. A day or two later the gravity had dropped by a couple of points (after accounting for temperature difference).

Brewed 1/5/12, Docklands Porter kit, OG 1038, moved to secondary 1/11/12, SG1018, checked again on 1/13 just to see, SG still 1018, with airlock still raised a bit (2 PC.), let it sit to condition. Checked it last night 1/19/12, SG still 1018. I emptied the airlock and reset it, it appears to be raised a very little bit and there are very small bubbles still rising. The beer looks clear (as possible for a Porter) all the way down. I was going to bottle it today but don't want to make bombs in my bathroom. My original plan was to primary 7, secondary 7 (dependent on SG stable), and bottle condition at room temp for 7 then place in fridge for as long as I can wait. Will I be ok to bottle or should I wait a little longer? Thanks for you guidance!

when in doubt let it sit for another week, it won't hurt and it probably will help. if you're in a hurry go ahead and bottle, tell us what happens.

When I transferred to secondary I let it circulate into carboy and have kept a couple towels around it, even while in the bucket primary. I did see some airlock action, but the SG never changed. It has cleared out and there is sediment in the bottom. I am going to check it again tomorrow and probably bottle. Will post a review eventually under extract sections. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back