Fermenting in tub of water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb1677

Reaction score
I ferment in buckets submerged in a tub of water in my basement. Ambient temperature is 66-68, the tub of water tends to be a few degrees cooler unless I augment with ice. My question is, without a thermowell how can I determine what the actual fermentation temperature is? I understand that the inside of the fermenter can be 5+ degrees higher than ambient but does that how true when ambient is a buffet of water? assuming the water around the fermenter is 65 should I expect inside the fermenter to be any higher or would it not be equalized with the water around it?

What I found was that my beer was 5* warmer then my water. I had used a floating thermometer in the tub thinking the thermal mass of the water would keep the beer similar. Nope.

Beer alone is generally 10* warmer than ambient though.

Get fermometers.

I find the stick on adhesive thermometers to be pretty accurate, just be sure they are not below the water line but still registering the wort in the primary.

+/- 2 degrees is my experience when I used a swamp cooler set up

Sent from the Commune

I use the stick-on fermometers on the outside of the bucket and have compared it to a probe inside the bucket and the two measured fairly close the entire fermentation.

close enough that I now trust the fermometer

I find the stick on adhesive thermometers to be pretty accurate, just be sure they are not below the water line but still registering the wort in the primary.

+/- 2 degrees is my experience when I used a swamp cooler set up

Sent from the Commune

Same experience here. I am impressed with the accuracy of the fermometers. Have checked it multiple times. I use a simple swamp cooler method with 2/3 of the carboy submerged and the fermometers is a half inch above the water line.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My fermenter is submerged to the point that it almost wants to float - there is very little if any beer above the waterline so the stick on thermometers are no good. I can put my digital against the bucket 6 or 8 inches down and it reads the same as the surrounding water. I guess a thermowell is the only was to know for sure what the temperature is inside the fermenter

I have used a probe thermometer taped to the side of the bucket with a piece of foam insulation over it. It was pretty much right in line with my fermometer. The times I had the bucket submerged deeper than the fermometer, I'd use the probe.

Overall. I'd say you are probably good if u maintain the surrounding water in the lower end of the temp range

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The water level is near the beer level, the fermenter wants to float! I usually circulate ice bottles in the tub to keep the water temp near 60 but then I talked myself into the idea that if the water is 60 that the fermenting wort would be 60 and that's kind of low. With no added ice I stay near 65, which is more reasonable to ferment an ale in so I stopped with the ice - now I am worried if the water is 65 and the beer is +10 then I am at 75. I probably just worry too much, my beer keeps turning out well!!!

For fun I just put my digital in a baggie and submerged it, with the probe right on the bucket right near the bottom and the temp was the same as the surrounding water near the top.

Use ice to keep the water around 60-62* for 4-7 days, and after that stop adding ice bottles. It's likely no more than 5* warmer than the water.

Back