Fermenting in Growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Does anybody here actually ferment in glass growlers? I have two growlers and I've thought about using them for fermenting small "test batches" of experimental brews. Does anybody here do this?

There is no reason you can't as long as you can find a stopper to fit the mouth of the growler. I've never done it, but I wouldn't have any reservations about doing it if I get the urge.

Does anybody here actually ferment in glass growlers? I have two growlers and I've thought about using them for fermenting small "test batches" of experimental brews. Does anybody here do this?

Well we make starters in them all the time. And a lot of us use 1 gallon jugs to make tiny batches of mead or wine in, so that's pretty much the same thing.

One thing to remember, some growlers are thicker than others, don't use one that feels too thin. There shouldn't be too much pressure going in if you have a stopper and airlock on it, but you'd hate for it to go boom if the glass was cheap.

In regards to what Norcal said, if you can't find a stopper that fits, and you still have the screw on cap, punch or drill a hole in the top, go get a 5/8" rubber grommet, and line the hole with it just like in your bucket lids, and stick your airlock in that.

I have a couple like that on some of my growlers or wine jug fermenters.

I've never used anything smaller than a 1 gallon jug. No reason to not use a growler, but you'd only have 4-5 bottles vs a 8-10 from a gallon.

It would be nice to experiment with. make one batch and put it in many different growlers with a different type of yeast in each.

I have a few small stoppers that fit my two thick glass growlers. I'm thinking that I'll try something experiental spiced beer for Christmas using leftover grains from my up coming brown. This will be a small batch that I can brew a little quicker in my kitchen as opposed to doing the entire 6 hour turkey fryer set up out back.

What about using a piece of tin foil instead of a stopper?

Your fermentation will probably remain sanitary, but your beer will be oxidized. There's a physics principle called "partial pressures" that allows oxygen to come into the unsealed vessel even though there's a continuous release of CO2 from the fermentation that will likely keep mold spores and bacteria out. By using an air lock, you are pushing most of the oxygen and nitrogen out of the empty space above the fermenting beer, and replacing it with the evolved CO2. That CO2 protects the beer from oxidation. The foil cap technique is good for stepping up yeast cultures, but not good for fermenting beer.

Your fermentation will probably remain sanitary, but your beer will be oxidized. There's a physics principle called "partial pressures" that allows oxygen to come into the unsealed vessel even though there's a continuous release of CO2 from the fermentation that will likely keep mold spores and bacteria out. By using an air lock, you are pushing most of the oxygen and nitrogen out of the empty space above the fermenting beer, and replacing it with the evolved CO2. That CO2 protects the beer from oxidation. The foil cap technique is good for stepping up yeast cultures, but not good for fermenting beer.

Thanks for that. Makes sense, and I had never thought of that.

Never done test batches, I wonder how the final results compare with 64 oz vs. 5 gallons. What needs to be done to compensate?

Just thinking out loud.

This sounds like a great idea, I think im gonna try it this weekend when i brew. If I pull out a gallon before 2nd fermentation and add fruit will it have an adverse affect on the remaining 4 gallons since there will be more air space in the fermenter? Also what would be the best way to go about adding the yeast if I do it directly before 1st fermentation? Pitch yeast into 5 gallons, mix and pull out a gallon? Or try to split the yeast accordingly. Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

I currently have 2 growlers brewing ginger beer with some dark DME, stopper fit in one, used a condom on the other. Once it filled up, I sanitized a needle and poked a hole near the base. I can tell it's done primary ferment because the condom deflated. Too bad I don't have another growler to bottle it.

I currently have 2 growlers brewing ginger beer with some dark DME, stopper fit in one, used a condom on the other. Once it filled up, I sanitized a needle and poked a hole near the base. I can tell it's done primary ferment because the condom deflated. Too bad I don't have another growler to bottle it.

This has to be one of the best posts on HBT ever! Plus, reviving a dead thread to boot.
I'll let others here start posting jokes.:fro:

So how are people getting the beer out after it's done fermenting? Do you have a small siphon or are you just pouring the beer into a bottling bucket? I have two of these growler fermenters going and I'm trying to decide how to best get the beer out. I'm thinking I'll cold crash in the fridge to get the yeast compacted at the bottom and then gently pouring the beer into my bottling bucket. I'd rather use a siphon but I cant see inside the growler so no idea where the trub line is at. Does that sound like it could work?

So how are people getting the beer out after it's done fermenting? Do you have a small siphon or are you just pouring the beer into a bottling bucket? I have two of these growler fermenters going and I'm trying to decide how to best get the beer out. I'm thinking I'll cold crash in the fridge to get the yeast compacted at the bottom and then gently pouring the beer into my bottling bucket. I'd rather use a siphon but I cant see inside the growler so no idea where the trub line is at. Does that sound like it could work?

Fermtech makes a mini autosiphon.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064ODL1G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back