fermenting chamber dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeRage

Death by Magumba!
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a simple question for yah.

I am waiting for my brew equipment to come in but I figure I would start on my fermenting box. What are the minimum dimensions required for a single carboy/ale pail?

The SWMBO gave me the green light to build my bar in the back family room. So everything must be as aesthetically pleasing as possible. A refridgerated fermenting chamber is going to be a must. Between Florida's 3 seasons of hot and hummid summer and the possibility of leaving for work up to a week at a time any time, I cant tend a water bath. So I am going to build the unit into a cabinet carcass. The carcass will approx be 35.5 tall by 24 deep, with no fixed width as of right now.
I already have the fridge and a PID temp controller. If it works out well I will be building another 1 or 2 to finish the bar with.

The minimum width isn't just the width of the fermenter, you need to add enough for safely getting it in and out. Pails are around 14". Add a couple inches for your arms and a couple more for insulation. 6" for frozen milk jugs and you're up to a 30" cabinet. A 48" cabinet would be ample for two fermenters, based on my old cabinet.

Thanks for the reply. I might not have been clear though.

I will be using the condesor,evaporator, and condensor from an old 1.7 cu ft fridge and a PID controller. So I wont need ice. I just need the minimum depth and height required for a carboy/ale pail with the airtrap plus room for what ever accessories like a blow off tube. Know what I mean?

Something like this.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35125&highlight=ferment
but the inner dimensions arent specified and it looks a little larger than it needs to be. Really nice looking unit though!

Then your best bet is to measure the largest equipment you'll be using. There are multiple shapes and sizes for carboys and pails.

Back