fermenting beer attracts roaches...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispbrew

Reaction score
Yeah found that out tonight with three big roaches in my closet and looking into it online...

I am fermenting a Belgian dubbel that I started 3 days ago, currently have blowoff tube on. I guess they couldn't resist the delicious smell of the Belgian yeast fermenting. this is my first Belgian and I haven't ever noticed roaches before on my other brews. Well this is just a warning to you if you did not already know. Maybe I should reconsider fermenting in my bedroom closet :cross:.

I think that fermenting in your closet is the least of your worries...LOL...Call a pest control company asap!!!

I think that fermenting in your closet is the least of your worries...LOL...Call a pest control company asap!!!

I would do a thourough search. Roaches don't hang around unless there's a constant food source. Single home or apartment/condo?

Not necessarily; I'm in Mississippi, and keeping roach incursions to a minimum requires a certain amount of diligence. OP, what's your location?

Get some boric acid powder at the drugstore, it's cheap, sprinkle small amount around the area where the roaches feed or congregate (under sink, where trash stored til pickup, in your case, around the fermenter). Will kill the roaches within a few hours, and they will track it back to their nest and kill their buddies & eggs. This is the most effective way to prevent roaches, safe for humans, but only use in areas inaccessable to pets, effective for months/years. Note: the surface that the boric acid is applied has to be kept dry to be effective, so if you spill something or wash the area, re-apply.

Boric acid has been used for over a century, always works, is the primary active ingredient in roach traps, and a 1/2 pound jar of the stuff will last for decades.

I cannot emphasize this enough, this stuff works!

I use this; boric acid is the primary ingredient:
51mtYzm9xnL._SY300_.jpg

Back