Fermenting a long time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrinVH

Reaction score
Ive been brewing for about 5 years now and started out with Mr Beer and evolved shortly there after to better brewing. this being said. I have a batch of extract Hefeweizen that's been bubbling now for almost 10 days... its down to about 1 every 5 minutes but Ive never had a beer ferment for more than seven...... I had planned on transfering to my bottling bucket and bottle my brew Saturday which would have been the normal 2 week wait...... how long do you think I should wait before bottling.... and any ideas and to why its fermenting so long?

I would absolutely give it at least the two weeks. If you are worried about it, take a sample gravity reading the last couple days and see if it is still working. If you post the yeast you used and temperature you are fermenting at someone else may be able to help you more than I can. The best I can suggest is to let it ride especially if there is still visible activity. No need to rush it.

After 5 years at this game, surely you know that bubbles mean relatively nothing and to take a series of SGs to see if she is done.
Sorry to be a little snarky.

"how long do you think I should wait before bottling"

Until it's done. Bottling at an other time is just dangerous. Take readings and wait until they are stable.

"and any ideas and to why its fermenting so long"

Most likely causes - underpitched yeast, not aerated well, and lower than ideal temps.

On the less likely side - a wild yeast infection slowly chewing away at the bigger sugars.

"how long do you think I should wait before bottling"

Until it's done. Bottling at an other time is just dangerous. Take readings and wait until they are stable.

"and any ideas and to why its fermenting so long"

Most likely causes - underpitched yeast, not aerated well, and lower than ideal temps.

On the less likely side - a wild yeast infection slowly chewing away at the bigger sugars.

This sums it up. You don't want bottle bombs.

as for temps. first day was 68 the rest have been a constant 74... As far as bubbling goes... my rule of thumb has been as long as there's bubbles the yeast isn't finished yet, that being said Ive never had one last more than 7 days. 5-6 about normal for what I make.

Take another SG tomorrow. If it stays at 1.015, then I say it's done. Still all in all, would be a good idea to leave it alone another week or so to allow the yeast to clean up after themselves and start to settle.

Back