Fermenting a Flanders Red Ale with the Secondary Dregs of a Belgian Sour Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted to run a plan I have by all of you to get your feedback/thoughts.

I have a Flanders Red extract kit that I'm about to boil. I was originally going to doing a primary fermentation with Safale US-05 and then do a longterm secondary conditioning with White Labs' Brett Lambicus (I have a vile that's about to expire), but now I'm thinking of mixing things up a bit more: I have a Blonde Ale that's been conditioning with White Labs' Belgian Sour Mix I (Brett., Sach., Lacto., Pedio.) for six months and am about to put it into bottles for longterm aging. My thought was that I could bottle this beer but leave a little dregs on the bottom (not the original yeast cake -- it's been in secondary for six months) and rack half of the Flanders Red wort onto it and the other half into a clean 5 gallon carboy. Then I can pitch Safale US-05 into both of them and let it primary ferment for about a month or two. After that I could pitch the Brett Lambicus into only the second carboy (the one without the Belgian Sour Mix I dregs) and let that condition for another month or two before bottling. My hope is to create 10 bottles of Brett Lambicus Flanders Red (with its cherry notes) and 10 bottles of a more tarty/sour Flanders Red.

Any thoughts?

Or I could just make things easier on myself and do the whole thing as Brett L.

Anyway. Thanks for your feedback.

Back