Fermenter Questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brau_Haus

Reaction score
This little item was just donated by my local restaurant. Now, I know I'm not a graphics designer, but I did the best I could to represent it (don't have a digital cam, so I can't post actual pics of it).

fermentor.gif

It's about 33.5" tall (from the ground) and about 21" diameter. The walls are about an inch thick, and the depression in the middle is about 2" deep. To the best of my calculations, it holds about 22 gallons (US).

I do not have a lid for it, but I'm sure that some Plexiglas, silicon and a few pieces of water pipe would do wonders for giving me a way to securely affix a lid to it.

Here comes the questions for everyone:
1. If I were to affix a screen at the bottom to catch the dead yeast, and other nasties that sink to the bottom, how would this affect the wort (roughly 1.5 gallons)?

2. How fine of a screen would I need to affix to let it work as a filtration for when it comes time to bottle, working on the assumption that I am going to do a single bucket brew?

3. Would it be better to simply drill a hole slightly higher than the depression in the center and put a different spigot on there, thus avoiding contamination?

4. My wife suggested putting a "net" or something similar to a large grain bag in the entire bucket, then pouring the wort in. When bottling time came, simply pull the bag out, and I'd have all the "nasties" already out of the beer. Any comments on that one?

The guy who gave it to me said they used to use it for Gatorade when they still sponsored a softball team, but lost the lid years ago. He said it was 100% food grade, and it does appear to be of reasonably good quality. It is also filled between the inner and outer wall with spray foam insulation. I would think that would help maintain a steady temperature, no?

Thanks in advance for all the knowledgeable responses.

~BH

Yeast is microscopic stuff, not really detectable particles. I'd imagine any reasonable filter you can put in there is going to be something the yeast go right through. Ditto most other fine particulates.

A second problem that comes to mind is the insulation. A constant temperature is good, but since the fermentation process produces heat an insulated vessel is likely to end up warmer than its environment - not always bad, but for most beers and most home brewers, warming the fermenter is the opposite of what you want to do.

I don't know if you want to ferment in this at a glance, but if this is food grade and a heat-resistant plastic, you might instead want to look at it as a MLT for all-grain brewing should you go that way. At that size you could mash some big beers in ten gallon batches, or more ordinary beers up to 20 gallon batches, presuming you have the means to do the rest of the process.

I don't know if you want to ferment in this at a glance, but if this is food grade and a heat-resistant plastic, you might instead want to look at it as a MLT for all-grain brewing should you go that way.

it is food grade, and I would assume heat resistant.....

.........MLT?

can someone tell me what the acronym MLT means?

I'm a raw noob, having only read Palmer's book online, and visited for years with the Jr. Master Brewer for Winkler Brauerei, Vilseck, Germany (he couldn't give away any guild secrets, but he did teach me a lot).

Mash/Lauter Tun. For all grain brewing, it's a vessel that holds your grain for the mashing/sparging procedure. A lot of people use 10 gallon beverage coolers for five gallon batches since there's a drain spout at the bottom and the insulated sides will hold the mash at a constant temperature for the hour or so you need. It looks like what you've got is essentially a 20 gallon beverage cooler, so it might be well-suited to 10 gallon batches.

The temperature concern is since you're going to be dealing with 170 degree water for a MLT, so want plastic that won't be damaged by holding it.

You are all saying the most enticing things....tell me more of this "all grain" brewing.

I just posted in the What/How forum, and to put it in simple terms, haven't made my first batch yet......but something about the way you all have typed all grain gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.....

tell me more

This sounds like one of those big round coolers you would see in a gas station with cokes or beer or something in it - I do not think you want to ferment in that - but for the price of free it sounds like it could be put to use for something else for sure!

This sounds like one of those big round coolers you would see in a gas station with cokes or beer or something in it - I do not think you want to ferment in that - but for the price of free it sounds like it could be put to use for something else for sure!

+1 maybe you can use it as part of a Jockey Box.

Ok....it sounds like I've got some "equipment" that is well advanced for my stage. Since I don't have the room to spare here (wife, 4 kids, 3 dogs, 3 cats...don't ask and I won't explain), it seems that I have a MLT for sale...the price is beyond belief...free. come get it.

East Central Alabama

~BH

+1 on realizing that just because something is free does not mean you have to spend countless hours trying to make something that you don't need or won't work for what you want to do.

Call one of the local sports teams (Little league, etc.) and ask them to pick it up. Would be great for some of those boiling hot days when they want to give some cold drinks to the kids.

Call one of the local sports teams (Little league, etc.) and ask them to pick it up. Would be great for some of those boiling hot days when they want to give some cold drinks to the kids.

Thanks for the compliment, samc. As far as donating it, it is sans lid, that's why the restaurant stopped using it. I don't know as though they would accept it.

arturo7 said:
Damn, that's a long drive...

Make it worth my while, and I'll meet you somewhere in between.

edit....just checked mapquest...call UPS....lol

Back