Fermenter on overdrive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortHog1242

Reaction score
Brewed some wheat beer yesterday. Briess LME, perle and spalter hops, a dash of lemon juice and corriander. Made about 3 gallons and am fermenting in a 5-6 gallon Coopers carboy.
The bubbles from the airlock have been going ape****, in fact, I one side of the water ( using a 2 bubble airlock) has no water cuz its being pushed to the other side.
I assume its because its pushing out all air out the carboy, since there is a lot of headroom. Its been bubbling pretty good now for 2 straight days. Is that a good sign? Guess the yeast is working..I used 11.5 gms od Safale wheat yeast.
I've seen my airlock bubble before, but this batch looks like it got ahold of some of McGwires "roids.
Thanks for any thoughts.

It's normal. Just kick back and let it do it's thing. Some brews bubble hardcore some very little. Just make sure you keep up with the fluid in the airlock as it starts to slow down.

This is a good sign. Let this continue for a minimum of three weeks (IMO) then start checking the gravity to see if fermentation has stopped.

3 gallons in a 5-6 gallon carboy is a lot of headspace and is alright for now because the wort is releasing Co2 and pushing air out, but this may be a problem later on. Do not transfer to secondary unless you have a 3 gallon carboy to put it in.

I am not sure if this is going to be a problem if you leave in primary, cause I have never done this. perhaps a veteran may be able to answer that questions.

if you used a Heffe yeast with it, or WLP001, those seem to go ape**** and have a roman orgy on maltose!

What temp are you fermenting at? The only downside of fermenting hard is that it can peter out too quickly and not attenuate well. If you're not controlling your temp, this is a possibility. If you are controlling your temp, then it's normal and nothing to worry about!

Latest posts

Back