Fermenter lid blew off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbell525

Reaction score
I brewed the NB Ryan's Face Puncher IPA yesterday. The yeast was a Wyeast pack that I made a starter with on Saturday. For that I used 1 cup DME and 2 pts of water. The OG of the kit came in right around 1.072 that the recipe calls for. When I came home from work today I found the lid had blown off the bucket. It's a Williams Brewing 6 gal bucket with stock lid. The airlock was full of beer and still in the stopper which was seperated from the lid. I cleaned the lid and airlock back up and sanitized then put it all back together. Is this batch shot? What would you do from here?

Pictures?? We like pictures, especially the ones taken in closets full of clothes covered in krausen or ceilings dripping or the one of the facial expression of the SWMBO that allows you to brew :tank:

I did an imperial IPA about 2 months ago that blew the top off. Sampled one yesterday and it's delicious. You'll be fine. If it was fermenting vigorously there's little chance that anything nasty can take hold.

duboman said:
Pictures?? We like pictures, especially the ones taken in closets full of clothes covered in krausen or ceilings dripping or the one of the facial expression of the SWMBO that allows you to brew :tank:

I would have taken pictures if it would have made more of a mess. So I guess I'm lucky it didn't. The airlock did have a lot of beer caked in there but I would have thought it would have ejected it w/ the stopper. Who knows...

I had a bucket try to do the same thing once. Luckily SWMBO noticed hissing coming from the closet and vented the lid before it blew off. I've been using blow off tubes for everything I brew ever since. With big beers (and especially those that have alot of hop particles floating around in them like an IPA) are going to be more prone to airlock blockage. If the krausen fills up all of the head space of your fermenter all it takes is one little chunk of a hop to get pushed up to block the air flow throw the tiny hole in the airlock and the pressure builds until something gives.
I typically throw a blow off tube on through the first few days of fermentation and when things slow down a little bit I'll toss an then toss a standard airlock on it.

Back