Fermenter length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayni

Reaction score
So this is probably gonna sound bad, I left a brew in a fermenter bucket for probably a good 2 years, and wondering how to tell if its bad, other than major obvious signs of mold etc... It was a Surly Bender alc content about 5%, pulled open the top and it actually smells fine, should I dump it or give it a try? There was a little gunk sitting on top but nothing alarming.. Opinions?

I pumped some co2 into a bottle sized sample, I will hopefully know soon! Thank you :)

The problem here is likely oxidation. Those buckets are very permeable to oxygen at longer exposure lengths (longer than 4 weeks or so).

True dat. But how do you misplace a full fermenting bucket for 2 years? Perhaps you own a 21 room mansion? Cheers.

True dat. But how do you misplace a full fermenting bucket for 2 years? Perhaps you own a 21 room mansion? Cheers.

Nope just got lazy in my 4 room bungalow ;-) I should mention how much I hate bottling though! May have to go to kegging....

The problem here is likely oxidation. Those buckets are very permeable to oxygen at longer exposure lengths (longer than 4 weeks or so).

Technically the diffusion rate of gas through a polymer will remain constant no matter what length of time you leave a beer in the bucket. The total rate of gas diffusion can be viewed as a function F(t) = d*t where d = diffusion rate and t = time (in the industry this is per day).

Every polymer will have a unique diffusion rate that is determined by chemical and physical properties.

:mug:

Technically the diffusion rate of gas through a polymer will remain constant no matter what length of time you leave a beer in the bucket. The total rate of gas diffusion can be viewed as a function F(t) = d*t where d = diffusion rate and t = time (in the industry this is per day).

Every polymer will have a unique diffusion rate that is determined by chemical and physical properties.

:mug:

Yeah I guess what I meant was that the oxygen will begin to have an effect on the beer after 4 weeks or so. Obviously it's getting in there at a constant rate. Just meant longer exposure gives enough time for oxidation to occur at a noticeable level.

Back